Friday, June 1, 2007

Therapy Underway

My first session with my Chiropractic sports physician on Wednesday was good. 45 minutes of evaluation and work.



I had my first knee adjustment. She sort of yanked on my lower leg like they do when it is your whole leg if you've had that done, but just focusing on the knee. She also did some active release and stretching of the IT.



Because of the sprained ankle, she wasn't able to watch me run or have me test out the kinesio tape that she did on my knee. Oh well. We chatted when I arrived about how I have been using the kinesio tape and taping myself. We talked about how the book I had bought, she had too, and we both decided it had little value and pretty much sucked. I have used it and modified several tape jobs. I must say it did come in handy this week as it did have a tape job for lateral sprained ankles.



The Doc decided towards the end of the session to try a "finger" like tape job over the ankle to help the lymph and reduce swelling and bruising. It looks like a basket weave on my ankle. feels good though. Other than lots of curious questions about what is on my foot.



Today's session was all business. It was torture day. She used the Graston tools. This is a heavy metal tool that is rubbed over the skin to get the scar tissue loosed up to separate the muscles and nerves to work properly( in a nutshell). Anyway, it can hurt like the dickens, but I know it does so much good. I'll be very bruised and sore from it tomorrow. She did this up and down the side of my right leg, quad, IT and hamstring. She then taped the entire IT with the kinesio tape. Oh, I also had my pelvis adjusted. It was a good, grueling half hour. I know a ton of good was done and I am on my way towards healing.

For my ankle, I am supposed to try to walk a bit on my toes. I can a bit. Not much. If I go too high it really pinches the back and under the ankle. If I cannot do this to her satisfaction on Monday, she wants x-rays. So, this is my goal this weekend. To be able to do these toe walking, toe lifts with relatively no pain by Monday. Keep the prayers flowing.

I did go against doctors orders and ran a bit on Thursday. My ankle felt very tired and just felt swollen. It was achy. I stopped after a mile. That was all I would allow myself, but my knee(IT) was stabbing me with pain anyway and I couldn't have gone farther even if I wanted too.

Not running for so long is hard. Plain hard. I feel like a slob. I let Michelle S. have my relay spot. It is hard, but good. I probably would have tried to run a leg even if I did go just to watch. So I won't even go along for the ride. There's no room in the van anyway. So, it is a good choice.

I'll decide next week about Lake Youngs Ultra on the 9th. Maybe I could try a loop. Or walk a loop. Who knows. Maybe I can transfer it to next year. We'll see. I don't really think I could manage 28+ miles on the ankle let alone the knee.

So, I'll go to coffee on Saturday and spend the day in the garden, a different hobby that needs attention. Sunday I 'll go to church and to my nieces 6th birthday party. I'll enjoy the other blessings of my life and be thankful for them and all the other gifts I have been given. I will continue to be patient and follow the doctors orders. It is a tough path, a path that needs my attention, a sometimes ugly and weedy, rock strewn path that I'll spend some sweat on for as long as it takes. It is my path though and I am thankful for it.

Grace and peace to you.

7 comments:

Backofpack said...

Oh, so that's the tool she used on my calf last week! Today she still wouldn't touch it, it's still too bruised. Next week though.

That statement you made about how you probably would've tried to run a leg if you were in the van tomorrow makes me feel a little better about my own folly - it reminds me it's a common runner thing to not give up.

And, Miss Jenny, I do not believe your path is ugly - there maybe a few weeds on it, and maybe a few curves you didn't expect, but you are much too wonderful to have an ugly path. Your path is beautiful and unique to you - but as all paths do, it requires work to maintain it. The best part is that I have no doubt that you have the inner strength to do an exemplary job on your path.

Last thing - come do some of your other hobby (gardening) at my house!

Journey to a Centum said...

Can there really be too many girls in short skirts?

You have approached your injury wisely and giving up the relay is the smart thing to do. We will find other relays to participate in.

Mend up and hit the road with those runnin shoes!

Cheers!
Eric

wendy said...

Sounds like your on the way to recovery, yaay!

You're such a strong person, Jenny, and I'm so proud of you for being patient and your attitude of gratitude with the other great things in your life.

We'll keep the prayers coming!

Joe said...

Boy, the injury route is indeed a tough one. I remember so well my ITB struggles last winter.

In the end, it is good...you will continue to learn much. There is much running (and life!) in your future, so let the body heal itself now and enjoy this part of the race.

Prayers for you!!

Anonymous said...

I feel for you as its tough to wait. Rest until the pain is gone and then wait a few days to fully heal. Better to fully recover now than to injure again. Take care

Unknown said...

My prayers are with you that the recovery is as quick as possible. Should I run an extra loop for you at Lake Youngs?

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about the injury. You'll be in my prayers as you recover.