Saturday, June 23, 2007

On the Road Again

I know it's been a while, it's just been so hard to write when I can't run and I don't want to be a whiner.

I have spent time concentrating on other things, like finishing out the school year. I was happy with the way things ended this semester. Less failures, more undeserved grace ( and some deserved) handed out to get kids to pass my class. And so another school year is in the books.

Ahhhh, vacation. Except it does not feel that way. School ended on Wednesday, but I had two work days. One is regular and one was a make-up day from the Flood day we have in November or the Power outage in January. Take your pick. The students did not have to make it up, but teachers did in order to be paid.

So, today I spent trying to get ready for my daughter's 5th birthday party tomorrow. Although first my husband and I had to go pick out a new refrigerator. On Thursday I opened it up and it was not cold. The no frost freezer was quite frosty. It seems to be dying. So, lots of money later, a new "trio" will arrive on Tuesday. This is one of those with the "french" style doors on top and the drawer style freezer on the bottom. After we paid for it, the lady at Sears said this was one of the fridges they use in the Extreme make-over show. I am a huge fan so I thought that was pretty cool. I am excited. Then, as i was cleaning the kitchen, somehow, I managed to break the carafe to my coffee pot. I was feeling pretty stressed after just spending that much money on a fridge, and now my lifeline, the coffee pot was dead too. We have had the pot for about 7-8 good years. So I had to head out to Costco to buy a new one. I decided to get a stainless steel one to match the new fridge, so something in the kitchen would match the fridge. I found a Cuisinart one that was under $100.00 and went for it. Now I am hoping nothing else breaks!

As for running. Last Friday I got the go ahead to run a quarter mile at a time. There was no mention of if this meant a quarter mile total or what. So I took it for a quarter a mile run, walk a bit then another quarter mile! So on Monday I tried it out and walked 100 yards in between my quarter miles. After 1 mile I had knee pain (IT). I was depressed after so much time off. SO when I went back on Wednesday, the doctor worked some other areas that cross over with the IT. She gave directions to try again on Thursday. If I could go further this was a good sign. If not, MRI time. So I was ecstatic when I ran over 1 mile with no pain. I actually made it 2 miles before I had knee pain. I took this as a good sign. That is until it happened again today when I ran. 2 miles only. I am considering calling the doctor on Monday and asking for the MRI referral to my orthopedic who did my knee surgery almost 2 years ago. I just want to get it over with if there is a problem. Until then, I will take Linda's advice ( others offer advice too please!!!!) run a quarter mile and walk a quarter mile build up super slow. Maybe one minute run and 2 minute walk?

My patience is wearing thin. I think of Joe and to persevere. There are so many who have gone before and are excellent examples to follow. It is harder when you have to follow. I have promised to follow the doctor's orders and I am. I will be patient. I will persevere. With God's grace I will.

Grace and peace to you.

3 comments:

wendy said...

Hey girly,

You and I should run together sometime. I could use the extra runs, and it would be fun to run with you while I can. Pretty soon you'll be super speedy, and I won't be able to keep up! =)

Joe said...

Jenny, you are on the right path. Moving up from a quarter mile to a mile is good. The inflammation associated with the IT will eventually subside and you can then go to work on what might have caused it in the first place.

By the grace of God, you will carry on. Even with new SS appliances!!

Unknown said...

I feel your pain, but thankfully not literally. You will perservere and be back stronger than ever...eventually. Maybe not as soon as you would like, but God has a plan for you and I know it involves more running.