Monday, June 11, 2007

Still Practicing my Patience

It's been another week of no running.

I'm getting itchy to run and a bit lazy too. If that makes any sense.

Thursday I had xrays taken and Friday I went to my chiropractic Sports physician for the verdict. No aparent acute fracture, but I still am supposed to not run for a week. On Friday the 15th she will then reassess and decide if I need an MRI to check for ligament damage and/or bone chips.

Yesterday I did a spin class. It bothered my ankle on the standing climbs. I think it was just having shoes on. I've been trying to wear Birkenstocks that are loose. It pinched on the top of my foot and on the side where it is still a bit swollen. I also could tell that I have lost fitness. I only made it 40 minutes of the 45 to 60 minute options.

I was good with the no running until today. I decided to go to the Y with my 7 year old son and walk a lap, run a lap. He's been begging to go up on the track and kids aren't allowed without a parent. So we did. Besides, I wanted to check out a few things, one, how does my ankle feel, two, how is my knee fairing with almost a month off? and three, I wanted to actually run in my pair of Brooks that I am testing.

So, the ankle felt okay, stiff and sore, but nothing worse than it already feels like all day. The shoes felt great, but my knee still hurts. I ended up with 5/6 of a mile running and about the same walking, alternating run one lap, walk one lap. It is quite depressing. I had my hopes up with so much time off that it would be good, no pain. No such luck. The pain was my IT, right leg on the outside of my knee. I've had two weeks of therapy, 4 sessions total. I am about to ask for an MRI on my knee, just to rule out a tear and calm my nerves. I am also getting fearful of not being able to run in the Rainier to Pacific Relay. I already have given up two events. I don't want to miss another. (a little pity party for me).

So it's rough this patience thing. I am having a tough go of it. I don't want to hurt anymore, in my ankle, but especially my knee.

I fell that God gave me the ankle injury as a sure way of forcing me into resting. I guess I better listen. I promise to really only to bike, swim, eliptical and the stregth excercizes I am supposed to do until I get Doctor's permission to run.

Patience is so hard to learn and accept. Keep me in your prayers! I need them!

Hope all is well with you in your running and in your life!

Grace and Peace to you.

6 comments:

Backofpack said...

Jenny - I feel so frustrated and it's not even me! I hope you heal quickly and well. As Joe would say, persevere!

wendy said...

Sometimes it feels like God's watch needs a new battery, huh. For me, times like these require looking back at the answered prayers, and reflecting on His perfect timing.

Of course you will still be in prayer, my friend. Take care!

Unknown said...

We definitely do not want to lose you for the relay. Rest well and fast and I will continue to send healing prayers your way. Take care.

Joe said...

Boy, frustrating indeed.

I hesitate to offer unsolicited advice but it sounds so much like my ITB, I will simply mention what worked for me.

Have you assessed your pronation? By looking at how your shoes wear? Kind of hard to describe in text but I learned a lot by going to a good running store and having them examine my old shoes. Email me if you'd like to discuss further.

The discomfort of not running is significant...I think of it every day when I run and I'm feeling for you!!

God has a plan...it will become evident!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I feel for you. I have dealt with a few injuries before and patience is not a virtue of mine either.
And, Wendy's comment made me smile and agree that God's watch does seem broken sometimes. I guess if we had his perspective, it would be easier to understand the challenges we face. It makes me wonder: How could this be a blessing for you? I bet there is an answer to that question somewhere...and in time, I look forward to hearing what it is!

Journey to a Centum said...

Hey runner girl! Here's the equivalent of an electronic post card from Rice Hill Oregon! Wish you were here!

Baby that ankle and make sure it's good to go before venturing too far.

TTFN