Friday, June 29, 2007

Good News!

There is no torn meniscus or ligaments in my knee!

Essentially, there is inflammation, scar tissue and strained ligaments from overuse. A lot of technical terminology that I will bypass for layman's terms. I am to keep the appointment with Dr. Yamomoto, the arthroscopic surgeon as he may want to give me a cortisone shot and send me to PT for the laser and electronic therapies that they can offer. My treatment for now is as follows: Aleve and Advil to reduce inflammation, Vitamin C to help absorb and build tissue, and Arnica Gel to help reduce inflammation and achyness.

While we are in Texas I am to rest. Apparently it is all the pounding that is the issue. When I return I will participate in the Rainier to Pacific relay and go to my next Doctor's appointments and follow their orders.

I did run last night, 2+ miles, a quarter mile at a time, slowly and stopped at over two miles with NO PAIN! I was very excited and did not want to push it, so I called it a day. A blessing.

Grace and peace to you.
(I am feeling a bit more peaceful)

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Good news, Jenny! If I don't see you first have fun in Texas.

Emily said...

Great news!!! Have a great time in Texas.

Joe said...

This is great news, Jenny. All sounds like it points to the overuse, resulting in inflammation. The anti-inflammatories will help.

You may want, at some time, to take a look at your shoe wear pattern. If the take-off point is on or inside of your big toe, you may be overpronating, which might contribute. Motion control shoes might help reduce the roll, thus the wear. Just a thought...but it sure has helped me.

Really happy for a path ahead for you!

Anonymous said...

Jenny,

This is fabulous news! I'm so pleased for you. By the way, I think your "little" runs are so smart. So many runners can't stand to rest from running that they continue to exacerbate their injury and delay healing time.

I suffered a partially torn ligament several years ago. One of the things I learned about ligament issues is that "exercise" is mandatory for healing. That is, ligaments are the least vessel-ated soft tissues in our bodies. There's not a lot of blood flow going on in ligaments without the increased blood flow that comes with "exercise." Blood flow is required for healing. There's a happy medium to be found, enough "exercise" to oxygenate the tissues but not so much to overuse the injured tissue. A lot of times, the "exercise" has to come in the form of just a bit of running and otherwise cross training.

Best of luck, and this news is, again, awesome!

Meghan
www.running-blogs.com/meghan

Backofpack said...

Jenny, Thank goodness! I'm so glad that there's no tear. Have a great time in Texas and plan on a run with me when you get back (besides the relay!)

Mama said...

What a relief, but it still needs to heal. Patience is a virtue. I keep telling myself that too.
Have a great trip.
Lorri

Anonymous said...

Glad the news is good about the knee. You might want to bring your rain gear. Texas has been unseasonalbly wet.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you made it to Texas safely. How long can you tread water? You might consider that as a form of cross training as much as it's rained here. Hope the workout at the Y goes well. How long will you be in town?

wendy said...

Yay for the good news, Jenny!

You've been doing such a good job of being the King's daughter. Keep up the good thoughts, the valleys are passing.