Monday, May 28, 2007

Patience Can Be a Difficult Lesson to Swallow

I haven't had a lot to say in the last few weeks. It has all come to a stand still for me though.

After the Tacoma City Marathon I was feeling fine except for a tight Adductor/hamstring. I had planned to take a full week's rest.

My husband was going to be out of town for 8 days on a golf trip with friends and then taking his golfer to the Washington State High School Boys Golf Championships. So it would be a good time to just relax and hang out with the kids.

Last Monday, the 21st, I tried to run at the Y on the indoor track. After about a mile and a half, I noticed a twinge in my right lateral knee. That, along with being sick of running on the indoor track on beautiful days, sent me downstairs to ride a bike for a change.

I took the next few days of and ran again on Thursday night at the high school track. I went early to try to get in some extra miles before others showed up. What happened was, again after about a mile and a half, I had stabbing knee pain in my right lateral knee. It freaked me out. It was the same type of pain, in the same place that I experienced two years earlier in my left knee that led to arthroscopic surgery for a torn meniscus.

So, I ended up walking three miles with Wendy who had run earlier in the day and was happy to walk.

I came home totally bummed. I had my husband make an appointment with our Chiropractic sports physician for Wed. the 30th. She is a great Dr. who combines Active Release Therapy, chiropractic, kinesio taping and whatever else magical she can whip up. I am praying for it to only be my IT.

So I spent Thursday night and Friday massaging and kinesio taping it up to try and help it along.
Saturday I planned a short run from the Y to the lake and back for not more than two miles, just in case I needed to walk. I went slow and took it easy. It began to bother me after 15 minutes, but subsided after a couple of minutes. It was not the stabbing pain I had earlier in the week either. This cheered me some, but it began to bother me again by the time I arrived back at the Y. I went inside and rode a bike for another 20 minutes.

I have a relay next weekend, June 2nd and I signed up for the Lake Youngs Ultra the next week on June 9th. Here's the kicker. Sunday, as I was walking across a parking lot with my son, over a grassy knoll to a crosswalk, I somehow miss-stepped alongside a man-hole cover and sprained my right ankle. Luckily there was a pole there for me to catch myself from falling and for me to catch my breathe. I frightened my son as I held on to that pole for dear life saying "Oh, my God, Oh my God Oh, my God." over and over. He didn't really understand that I had hurt myself. I didn't know if I could walk, or if I should try to get help from someone. I sucked it up and found that I could walk, barely. An hour later I was home after finishing the errand mind you. I had my husband get ice and 4 Advil and put it up for and hour. It was already quite swollen and I could see the bruising beginning.

Later in the evening I got out a pair of crutches just to be able to keep off of my foot. I didn't know what was going to happen. I felt horrible that I might have to give up the relay and the ultra. I still might have to. I haven't had an injury like this since high school, playing soccer.

Luckily, Monday Morning I was able to bear weight and walk with a limp. It is still very swollen and bruised around the outside of my ankle. I have been and will continue RICE.
I will try to run on Thursday and make a decision then about the relay. I think we had discussed if someone had to drop, the team would not pick up an alternate, but just others would run more legs. I would still like to go and cheer on my team if I cannot run. Then see what the ankle is like the next week to try for the ultra, or a portion of it. That would make almost 4 weeks without significant running before the ultra. But hey, if Rob can do it, so can I.

So, patience is my lesson, patience to get back on the right track and to heal. To seek God's wisdom in which and how many events I should take on. I have been doing what I felt I could, perhaps too much so close together. But it is so difficult when you see that others can do it. I should be able to as well. But there are different plans for different people. I need to go by what is right for me. I will draw upon the strength of others gone before who have persevered in trying times and will rely on my faith to pull me through this rough spot. There are many examples out there of people who have endured much worse only to come out of it stronger and more determined. This is just a minor setback and a reminder to me to rest, to take it easy. To focus on my family for a while and to heal. God works in mysterious ways. I am reminded of his power and his shepherd's crook at times like this. I am being hooked prodded to go in a different direction, through a route I am seemingly reluctant to go. To get back on the path in which I am meant to be. Now I must give in and go, patiently healing, planning, praying and getting to where I need to be.

Grace and Peace to you.

7 comments:

Emily said...

Sorry to hear about your ankle. Hope you feel better soon.

Backofpack said...

Jenny,
I am bummed to hear about your ankle too. You've been very careful with your knee surgery and worked hard to get back at it, so this is a real bummer. Remember, even if you can't run in the relay, we want you to ride along with us!

I hope it heals right quick and you get to run the relay and the ultra. If not, then another chance will come.

wendy said...

Oh no, Jenny!

What a bummer! Ugh, after you've been being so careful with your knee! I'm going to pray for healing and a quick recovery for you.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I really feel for you, first the knee and then the ankle. Running with mimimal training can show strength but can also lead to injury (or at least pain). Running with injuries is never good and often take weeks or longer to completely heal after the pain is gone. Heal first, completely, and then build back slowly. Other runs will be there when you are ready. As you say, have patience, and listen to your heart and faith.

Unknown said...

I am sorry to hear about the struggles, but I know that you are as strong and faithful as they come. My prayers will be with you and I hope that you are able to make it to Lake Youngs healthy.

Anonymous said...

Jenny,

So sorry to hear about your ailments! It sounds like you'll be getting treated for the knee portion tomorrow, so I'm wishing you lots of luck.

Thinking of you,
Meghan
www.running-blogs.com/meghan

Joe said...

Jenny, just catching up with this...I'm so sorry about this!!

Much I could write. I had many similar emotions from October to February with my ITB injury. God has much He can teach you in it...that injury was very wonderful for me in that way. If you'd like more, zap me a note at joeely618 at yahoo dot com.

Persevere.