Monday, April 30, 2007

Eugene Marathon

I had a goal to run this marathon in 4 hours or under.


My time was 4:04:13. I am very happy and it is a PR. I was on my way to that goal until about mile 17.


More of the story to come, I should start at the beginning!

Michelle carpooled to Eugene with me as her husband Eric was running a 50 miler on Saturday. Needless to say, she didn't really want to hang out all day then get to Eugene at 9pm. So probably way back in January we decided to ride down together. I took my 4 year old daughter with us and dropped her off in Tualatin (Just south of Portland about 10 minutes) at my parents so she could visit. My husband and son stayed home to go to my son's baseball game.


The weather was perfect and good company made the 5 hour drive a fast one. We stopped only twice at rest stops besides the 15 minute rest and drop off in Tualatin.


Once in Eugene, we headed right to the Hilton for the Expo. We picked up our own packets as well as Rob's, Eric's and George's. Then we met right up with everyone else form the Y group. Linda and her husband Rich, Monica and Mike, Amy, Lesa, Michelle S. and her husband Frank, Patch and Sonja. We wandered around, looked at all the cool stuff, sampled some goodies, and I bought another Marathon shirt, but a light green one this time with a different design.


Then it was time to get back to My hotel, The Campus Inn and check-in. I had a Margaret B. and Lesa staying with me and I wanted them to be able to get their stuff in and organized. Then it was off to get Michelle checked in at her hotel (which was kinda far away) and get back to order dinner. Albeit far away, Michelle and Eric were staying at a much fancier hotel than the rest of us. And as long as they were comfortable, that's all that matters.


We were back at the Campus in and basking in the beautiful sun in the courtyard deck area and were joined by a man named Dan. He asked if anyone could join our group and we of course said "Yes!" Dan and his wife had come all the way from Philadelphia,PA. Dan sat down and joined right in. Soon, we were joined by Darrel and Sarah from the blogoshere. It was a down right marathon party! We had great conversation.

Eventually the food came and we had a great pre-race meal.














Great people, great food and great weather! It was a perfect evening!

After dinner was over and cleaned up, most people wanted to drive over to Hayward field where the start was and walk back to see how far it was and how long it would take. This was to aid in deciding to either walk or drive to the start in the morning. I didn't go, but took Michelle back to her hotel to make her pre-race preparations and came back.


As usual, everyone got sidetracked by Starbucks and they never really figured out how long it would take to walk there!

So I went off to my room to get all of my things ready too.

My roommates came back and we had some great chatting before bed.


The alarm went off at 5am and we did all our morning preparations and decided to walk to the start. Most people drove or took the shuttle. I had one of the ladies take this photo for my dad, he received his doctorate from U of O and I grew up attending Ducks games at Autzen Stadium and rooting for the Ducks in all their endeavors. I had always wanted a U of O sweatshirt and I purchased one on my way home at the Nike store in downtown Eugene.

We met everyone outside of Hayward Field and took some group photos before heading off to the porta-potty lines.


I then left everyone and headed to my 4:00 pace group. Then the race began. I found myself running with Lesa and Rob. It was a nice first few miles and Lesa left around the 2.5 mile mark. Rob and I were together till about mile 6. He was doing well for having run 34 miles the day before!


He stopped for water at the 6 mile mark and didn't catch back up to me. I was ahead of the 4 hour pace group and feeling good. I had no idea how far behind me they were. I was enjoying the beautiful course and just reminding myself to relax.

At about mile 14 or a bit after I started to feel like I had really heavy legs. I wanted to lose my fuel belt. We were supposed to have our crew of Mike and Frank at mile 17. I could hang on till then, but I wanted to get rid of the belt and be able to breathe easier. I could tell I was slowing down. I walked through a water station. At about 16.5 Amy caught up, looking all fresh and said the pace group was about 300 yards back. I was a bit disappointed. really disappointed when they caught up to us at mile 17.5. I stayed with them for about a half mile, still trying to find our crew guys. At mile 18, I realized they probably hadn't gotten there yet. I couldn't keep up with the group. They seemed to be sprinting. I stopped to walk for 30 seconds to just relax. True relief came at somewhere near mile 19 or so. When you finally turn around, or so it seems you cross a bridge to begin to go back towards Autzen stadium and the finish. Maybe it was mile 20. Anyway, I spotted Rich, Linda's husband crouch up by the bridge. I asked him if he would be at the finish and could I please give him the belt. I took out another gel and e-caps and my chapstick, stuck them in my pocket and was gone.


I could finally breathe! Those last 6 miles were tough as they always are, but I got my second wind. I felt so much better. I could breather, and my legs felt like they could move. I tried to pick my pace back up. My new goal became under 4:05. Since I knew that was the next pace group still behind me.

Somewhere, around mile 23 I think, I saw George and seeing someone you know is always a pick me up. I ate some orange slices at the next aide station and tried to pick it up some more. I was a bit bummed at the 24 mile marker as the 4:05 pacer came up beside me. He did say he was about 45 seconds ahead of his pace and as long as I stayed with or ahead of him I would be fine. I had no problems staying with him. At mile 25 he pushed me on ahead. This reminded me of our friend Rick who often does the same thing. Gives you just the boost you need to get yourself in.

We were just entering the fields at Autzen stadium and had to go all the way around to the finish area. That last mile was run on the road next to all the traffic on one side and people walking on the other. I began to see people who had finished already wearing their medals so I knew I was close. Then the 26 mile marker. I hate that mile marker because the next 300 yards seems like it goes on forever! I wish they wouldn't mark it! Although, once you got within about 150 yards of the finish there were SO many people there cheering you in. It was great. I would have missed Sonja if she wasn't screaming at me. I just missed her high five.


So, again, I crossed the line in 4:04:13 by my watch. I was very happy and tired and as soon as i stopped, I got a cramp in my upper glute. I found Amy, Lesa and Eric still in the recovery area and we all went out to find Sonja, stretch and cheer the others in. Eric and I went back in for ice. Me for my cramping glute and my sore hamstring and he for his IT and ankle.

We watched the rest of our group come in, cheered for lots of other maniacs and had a great time.



I met up with Michelle, Rob, Eric, and George to have lunch with Darrell and his wife before heading to my parent's house in Tualatin. It was fun to be able to get together and talk in person and relive our marathons. Again, great people, good food and good times. Very fortunate to have the opportunity to run and to be able to run with such fantastic people.
I decided to only drive the 1 1/2 hours back to my parents house and spend the night there and drive the last 3 hours home today. My hamstring was really bothering me sitting in the car.

It was nice to get to rest before that last bit of driving. Today the muscles are a bit sore, but the drive home was fine and sitting wasn't a problem.
Overall the weekend was amazing. The course was beautiful. Except for the valley miles of 14-19, everything was perfect.

My next marathon will be in two weeks, The Tacoma City marathon. I'll run this with no particular goal except to finish and have fun. It's a hilly course. It too, will be a great run with great people.

What a blessing the weekend was, truly a blessing.

Grace and peace to you.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jenny,

You are just one amazing lady. It is great the you finished within 5 ninutes of your original goal time. If I can finish Capital City the way you finished this I will gratful. Congratulations on one great run.

Sarah said...

Great job Jenny! Congrats on your PR! I love your go for it attitude. Hope to see you again soon! : )

Michelle Sarabia said...

Jenny...You are so inspiring. Thank you for being part of a great weekend experience.

Anonymous said...

You really did look strong when you went by me at 23.5 and you had one of the faster final 10k's of the marathoners in our group so you definately recovered well from your "valley". Thanks for sharing the experience. Hope you enjoy Tacoma.

Journey to a Centum said...

Jenny - When you put aside all the pain and suffering it really was a beautiful day and a great course.

I'm glad you didn't attempt the drive by yourself on Sunday. I started out driving and was feeling real good when I found myself drifting over the fog line into the rumble strip. That's when Rob got to drive and I went to sleep for about 10 min. It wasn't long and Rob was ready for a break and with my nap I was ready for the driving duty once again.

Marathons are a good thing to go into with the ABC plan. Plan A for you would have been under 4 hours. Plan B under 4:05. Plan C hang on and finish! You accomplished plan B and for that I congratulate you! I wasn't going to bring it up before hand but I've talked to many marathoners who attempted a run after having the flu and the either bonked or had a very bad run. I'd say you had a very good run considering your illness earlier in the week.

I'm thinking those hills in Pt. Defiance are going to be looking fairly steep come marathon day. But then we are the Y-Run Club and WE LOVE HILLS!

Great run and thanks for letting Michelle ride down with you to Eugene.

Unknown said...

Great run, Jenny! I wish I could have stayed with you longer and I have no doubt that the sub-4 is right around the corner and then were going to have to start talking BQ:)

wendy said...

Congrats on your PR Jenny! That's really great, especially since you were feeling so down last week. It sounds like you guys had a wonderful dinner and evening before the race too!

I bet your kids are so proud of their marathon mommy, and a really fast one too!

Tony C said...

Nice run Jenny and great report!!!

I love your attitude - it's truly a blessing to be able to do what we do. I know you as a believer know that truth and it softens my heart to hear another share in this way. You relect His light wonderfully.

P.S. - Eric makes a good point about your effort following a bout of the flu. Most people bonk as their energy is low. This bodes well for an even faster marathon for you - soon! Phil 4:13

*tc

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the great finish. I realy enjoyed the report.

Legs and Wings said...

Thanks for sharing your marathon experience with the rest of us. Excellent report and pure inspiration for me as my first is coming up in a couple of weeks.

Wes said...

Nice job, Jenny! You Y runners are all nuts :-) In a very nice way!!

Joe said...

Jenny, so cool!! Great report and congrats on your PR! You really came close to the sub 4 milestone...you will get it, I'm sure. The flu in the week before surely complicated that.

I'm very happy for you and glad it went well. Awesome job!! It is a blessing to be able to run!!

Darrell said...

It was such fun to meet you and all the other crazy y-runners. It sounds like you ran a great race. That 4:00 goal will be met soon.

Enjoy the gift!

Anonymous said...

Jenny,

A belated congrats on the new PR. I, too, think that sub-4 is just around the corner for you. I hope that by now you are feeling much recovered and energized by your success.

Meghan
www.running-blogs.com/meghan

King Arthur said...

Great run Jenny, you'll be under 4 next and it will seem easy.

Kinetic Man said...

That is awesome! That's a super fast time,

You can get carbo gain at Super Supplements right there by Starbucks, it's great because it doesn't taste like anything, you just add it to whatever you drink and it will give you more energy,

I'm sure I'll meet you soon, though I won't be at the running group this week (I can't even walk),

Mike Welch