Monday, April 23, 2007

Update on Life and Countdown to Eugene

This past week has been one of sickness and low mileage.

It started out last Sunday when my 4 year old daughter woke up at 5am throwing up. She spent the day resting as much as a 4 year old can. She stayed in her pajamas and played quietly. She was upset when we wouldn't let her outside to play with her friends down the street.

By Sunday evening she seemed okay, and alright for preschool and daycare the next day. She indeed made it through school and swim lessons Monday.

I received an email Monday from an dear old friend, Ang. She lives in Blacksburg, VA and her husband is doing his Doctoral work at Virginia Tech. She wanted us to know she and her husband were okay and that they and the community really needed our prayers. This event has caused us, and the nation to stop, pray, wonder, and most importantly, cherish our loved ones and let them know how much we care and love them. Please take a moment to reach out to those around you and make a difference in someones life. It could make all the difference.

Tuesday we woke up to rain. My daughter was happy about this as her preschool class had been trying to go puddle jumping for the past few days. SO we packed her up with extra clothes and her rubber boots. But, in the middle of puddle jumping, she was throwing up again.

My husband went to pick her up, and took a half day substitute. He emailed me asking if I could be home by 2:20pm as he had an away baseball game to get to. Unfortunately, I was not, as my school day ends at 2:20 and I couldn't get someone to cover my class. So I left at about 2:25 and got stuck in the parking lot with all the students for about 10 minutes. No wonder we are supposed to stay for 30 minutes after classes end. It takes that long to clear out the lot!

So, no running Tuesday as planned due to taking care of a sick child.

Wednesday, It was my turn to stay home with my daughter. And my son had baseball practice at 5:30. my husband is one of the coaches, but I fill in when he can't be there. So, I was trying to help with practice, watch/hold my daughter and stay warm. I was able to get 17 minutes of running in while my daughter tried to go to swim lessons. She had felt fine, no throwing up, no fever and was very active during the day so I decided she could go. It was difficult to maneuver swim, running and baseball as the swim lessons ended at 5:25 and baseball begins at 5:30. Luckily everything is at the Y. I dropped Michael off early with the coach and went back to get Annika from swimming and get her showered and dressed before we went back to baseball practice. It was busy.

That night, my son Michael decided he needed some water and went downstairs. He set off the alarm by triggering the motion detectors at 2:10am. Needless to say, there wasn't much sleep after that.

Thursday, I was able to meet the Y runners on the trail after taking my cat, Texas, to the vet. On Wednesday, I noticed he wasn't putting his rear left leg down when he walked. Luckily, it was just muscle damage, and was prescribed some antibiotics and anti inflammatory medicine. He is doing fine now.

The Thursday trail/track run was an easy 4 miles, plus a few 100 repeats at the end.

Saturday, I met with a few Y runners, Rob, Linda and Emily for about a 9 mile easy run. Then we met Rick who was resting up for his first 50k for coffee at Starbucks. It was a nice morning and the end to an unintended low mileage week. Early taper.

Sunday I woke up I the middle of the night not feeling well. By 6am, I couldn't lay in bed any longer and went to lay on the couch downstairs. By 7am I was throwing up and feeling even more horrible. I didn't make it off the couch much all day. I managed to drink some 7 up and eat 3 pieces of bread and a bagel all day. I knew I would need to stay home sick so I emailed some lesson plans to my secretary and called in for a sub. So that's where I am today. Finally feeling like I can sit up for a while and have the energy to type.

I am looking forward to the Eugene Marathon this weekend. Rob had asked on Saturday if I had a plan. A plan for what? he replied with did I know what pace I would go out at for the first 8 or so miles, then the next 8? Did I have back up plans? Oh my gosh. No. I just figured I'd run. Stick with the pace group. I jokingly asked for a "plan" graphic organizer to help me set up this plan I needed to met my goal. Maybe he'll make one for me. Then I could feel organized, prepared and have something to measure my progress officially. :) If not, I'll just go with, sticking with the pace group.

My first marathon (Portland 2006) I finished in 4:29. The rest I have run with Michelle at a slower pace and had tons of fun. Recently I have pushed myself during training races and finished a 15 miler in 2:09 and a 20 miler in 2:57. Really, I'd like to finish in better than 4:29, but I'd be happiest with 4 hours or under. So I am hoping that this illness goes away, strength comes back and I feel great on Sunday in Eugene. Wish me luck and keep me in your prayers for a safe trip and a great race.

Grace and peace to you.
Go Hokies!

4 comments:

Backofpack said...

I can't wait till Sunday! Hope you are feeling much better and stronger by then. You better focus on eating well and drinking lots to recover from the yuck. I'll see you Thursday at coffee!

Anonymous said...

Yes, good luck! I hope you are able to recover from the flue before the race!

Given your other races/training, 4:00 seems like a very viable goal!

Good luck!
Meghan
www.running-blogs.com/meghan

maniac hippo said...

Hi Jenny!

As someone without kids, I admire all the struggles you go through to get the running in around all the stuff that comes up. I don't know if I could do it.

As far as "plans" - one thing I sometimes do is to just have some kind of pace to take the first 10 miles or so. Sometimes I really don't know if it is going to be a good or bad day until then, so I have a pace that will work either way.

Good luck at Eugene!

Joe said...

Oh my, Jenny, what a week!!! This is awful!! I sure hope you can bounce back from the flu and get the kiddos all sorted out! Oh my!

You are right about the impact of the VT tragedy...how sad...give each of ours a hug.

A 4 hour marathon is a 9:08/mile pace. Test yourself early...if you are "holding back" and can keep that early, you have a shot. If not, back off and enjoy the race. Hard to tell what this unusual "taper" will mean. I suspect, if you feel well by Thurday, it will mean little.

Enjoy your time...will pray for a most enjoyable weekend. And say hi to Darrell!!