Sunday, May 13, 2007

Tacoma (Extremely Hilly) City Marathon

Wow. I hurt all over. I just got out of a 25 minute cold bath, then a hot shower.

Let's just say that I knew this was a hilly marathon, but, man was it hilly! My hamstrings are killing me!

I had no goal in mind for this race due to the hills. I lined up wit the 4:00 pace group and decided I'd stay there as long as I felt comfortable. The pacer started out FAST! I started my watch as I crossed the start area and my watch read 7:38 at mile 1. Holy Moly! I just let them go ahead and eventually caught( she slowed down) up to the group around mile 5. I stayed with them till the first big hill inside Point Defiance park and knew I wanted to take it easy as this would be 5 miles of hills. It was mile 11-15.5 ish

Not soon after passing the 16 mile marker I caught up to Michelle, Rick and Melissa who had taken an hour early start. I didn't really think I'd see them. It was a pleasant surprise. At about mile 18, I passed Michelle S. ( also took early start) She said her knee was beginning to bother her. I kept plodding along, waiting for the hills to stop.

I think the last real hill was coming up alongside Cheney Stadium where the Tacoma Rainiers AAA team plays. There were a few other rollers, but I think that was the last. about 19.5, I think. Anyway, I started to fell fine on the flats and downs, but even a slight incline bothered my abductors and left hamstring. My uphill muscles were shot. I was able to comfortably hold a just under 10 minute pace so I was happy. I was very happy to start seeing the 23 and 24 mile markers. The last bit had no up hills and I was really looking forward to those downhill and flat miles to the finish.

I realized that the last .2 of a mile was not quite as evil as the Eugene Marathon, so I tried again to pick it up. I finished this tough course in 4:07:00 on my watch and 4:07:13 by the clock. Very satisfied with the time.

I headed straight to the medical tent for ice for my hamstring/abductor. I had them stretch me a bit, which caused my hamstring to cramp. Luckily the guy pushed on it and it didn't get too bad. I got Ice and went to find warm clothes.

Overall, it was a good race. Great people and nice weather, a bit too much wind, but the temp. was good. I am sure there will be some improvements for next year, but it will be a good event again.

Grace and Peace to you.

9 comments:

Backofpack said...

I'm still surprised at your excellent time on that tough course - you are fast!

Hope everything feels a-okay tomorrow.

Journey to a Centum said...

Jenny - Stay in Marathon shape and find a faster course! You are so close to breaking that four hour mark. You looked great at the finish. I have no doubt at all that you will break four on your next run. You are a Maniac and "You Can Do It!"

Unknown said...

Great job out there today! I wish I would have seen you come in. Rest up!

runliarun said...

Thank you for stopping by. Great time on a hilly course. I think it's even tougher when the most difficult part is in the middle stretch. Perhaps I am wrong though, and it's even worse at the end. I guess I will find out one day.

25 minutes in a cold bath? I would be screaming.

Anonymous said...

Great run on a Very hilly course. Now rest, ice, rest, and more rest for you aching legs.

Joe said...

Reading your report and Michelle's made me really in awe of that 4:07 time!!! Unreal!! Stay with it, you'll smash 4 hours on a less stressful course!

Hope it was a great Mother's Day for you!!

Great race!!!

Adelyn said...

Awesome job on such a tough course! Hope that the hamstring/abductor is back to normal by now :)

Great job out there

Anonymous said...

Great race, congratulations!

omega massage chairs

Anonymous said...

Jenny!

Nice job on what sounds like a tough course!

I hope your recovery is going well!
Meghan
www.running-blogs.com/meghan