Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Feeling Better

Well, it's Wednesday and I am feeling "much better. "
Like the Very Hungry Caterpillar after he ate the "Nice, big green leaf" on Sunday, ready not to spin my cocoon, but to run.

I was pretty iffy on Tuesday. Still felt like I was kicked in the stomach and had to be careful what I ate. Today, I can eat whatever.

I knew I needed to try to run on Tuesday, so I took the kids to the Y and headed to the indoor track. It was busy. I decided to run three laps for a half a mile, then walk one lap and repeat. It seemed to have worked. I ran three miles this way and walked a mile and a half. With a couple extra walking laps at the end. I felt tired at the end, but my legs felt pretty good. I did notice my nagging left hamstring/abductor but I was finishing by that time. I think I'll tape up the area with Kinesio tape for extra support for the marathon Sunday.

Today is my crazy day. My daughter has swim lessons from 4:55pm to 5:25 and my son has baseball at 5:30pm. I drop Annika off and head up to the track. So I get to run from about 4:58pm to 5:15pm when I have to go get Michael from the games room, run him outside to the fields and drop him off 10 minutes early for baseball, run back inside to pick up Annika from swim at 5:25 and get her showered and changed and get changed myself after my amazing 2+ mile 18 minute run and head back out to baseball practice. Annika runs and I walk the outdoor track around the field during practice.

After practice, I decide I can actually eat meat today besides the bread and pasta I've survived on for the past 3 days. Because it is now almost 7pm, I opt for the evil fast food joint. The kids get their favorite, chicken nugget kids meal things and I got an angus burger. It was really good. I think I needed protein. Hopefully it won't still be sitting there like a gut bomb tomorrow. We rarely do fast food, so the kids are really excited.

I am getting pumped up for the marathon. I am still pondering my nonexistent "plan" for this marathon. I have never really been one for being good at pacing myself or keeping track of my pace. I vividly recall being in 8th grade at Hayward Field at University of oregon for the Junior Olympics and running in the 800m. I remember the girls talking before the race about pace and PR's. I had no idea what they were talking about. I always just ran and liked to be in the front. If someone got close I just went fast enough to stay in front. This strategy didn't work in the Junior Olympics. It did work until the last 200m when about 5 people passed me and I came in 5th out of 8. Apparently I didn't have much competition in the regular meets! I learned quickly what pace and PR meant. Still, I've never been good at it. I can't seem to judge whether or not I need to speed up or slow down to last the long haul. Maybe Mr. Garmin needs to find his way to my house to help me out? Alas, I still think my "plan" is to stick with the pace group and go from there. I guess I really need help and more advice in this arena. And practice.

So, an under 4 hour marathon is my goal, my "plan" is to finish and have fun!

Grace and peace to you.

4 comments:

maniac hippo said...

I don't know if this helps, but I found that when I really caught the Maniac Virus last year that the early pacing just worked itself out. Overdo it and crash a few times and the right early pace just becomes natural.

So glad you're feeling better, and remember that the days (or weeks) that really define us as people are the ones where we're not at our best. Maybe this is one of those for you? What matters is how we play the hand that we're dealt.

Backofpack said...

Jenny,
I'm glad you are feeling better. Who's next? Paul, Michael? Hopefully niether!

I'm not going to run tonight, but will swing by coffee. If you don't make it to coffee, then I'll call you tomorrow to firm up Saturday plans.

Have a good day - remember to eat and drink well so you are all set for the race. I'm sure your body's stores are depleted right now.

Joe said...

So glad you are feeling better!! That's super. Hope baseball is going well for your son and your hubby's team. My other great love, on the diamond!!

Probably wise to just tuck in with the 4 hour pace group and let someone else do the math. Wouldn't it be a hoot if one of those 8th grade girls from the Jr Olympics was a pacer???

Have fun in Eugene...look forward to the report!!!

Olga said...

Have a grand time! While it is wise to tack in with a pace group, some pacers are not good - I've seen groups going with 4hr baloons and making 3:40 pace first 6M, then slwoing to a crawl, and then muttering final 10k (and loosing most of the group). Be able to talk first third, work semi-hard second and super-hard last. Don't give up!