Wednesday, March 28, 2007

The week so far.....

Well, this week too has flown by.

On Monday the count had begun for how many more times I had to wake up at O'dark thirty before spring break arrived. I am now down to two.

I slept in on Sunday a bit too much and didn't make it to church, for the church service, but did manage to get to church for Sunday school after dillydallying around the house.

We are doing a study on David. David has always fascinated me. "The man after God's own heart." It's hard to know what that means, or even what that looks like. David was a forgotten son, left behind to take over the family jobs no one else would do. He was chosen and anointed by God to become a King. He was a loyal servant of a brutal king. David endured circumstances with a heart and attitude that was of pure respect, (not necessarily for the King he served but for the position of King). Essentially this king was jealous of David and tried to kill him. He chased him all over, hunted him down and wanted him dead. It's quite the soap opera if you really get into it.

My point is that David really was a forgiving person and truly wanted to serve God and fulfill what God had planned and prepared for him. He was not revengeful as he could have been. He served the king that he would soon replace with a faithful and loyal heart all the while the king was trying to kill him. David sought God's will and earnestly followed. He prayed for his enemies.

I've tried to be like David lately. After the robbery, as you may know, I have had difficulty sleeping. One night last week, I just began to pray for the people who broke into my house. I prayed that somehow they would come to know that what they had done was wrong. I realize I will never know if this happens, but God will. I pray that the hearts of those people will be forever changed and that they will turn their lives around. And that I would not feel revengeful, fearful and anger.

I don't need my stuff back. I need these people to become different people and positively effect their world instead of harm it. That is my prayer for them. It has helped me let go. It has helped me sleep. It has helped me to know that I am not the one who needs to be in control. I've done my part of taking care of alarms and lights and locks and let it go. I can take a deeper breathe and feel the anxiety on it's way out of my life.

On to running....

What running? I took Sunday off and Monday, my usual day off. I ran at the Y for 45 minutes. I didn't keep track of distance...sometimes it is so nice not to count laps or keep track. Essentially I just wanted to get the kinks out from Saturday. It felt really good.

Today, my left hip was a bit tight. I decided to play it by how I felt after school. After being on my feet all day, I decided a rest day would be okay. I plan to run short runs Thursday and Friday afternoon and run longer on Saturday with some Y folks who are also training for upcoming events.

Grace and peace to you.

4 comments:

Backofpack said...

Jenny,
I'm glad you are finding peace. As you know, I've had some hard times in the past that I was finally able to let go of - through forgiving. It took me a while, and some wise words from others, to recognize that forgiving didn't mean saying it was okay for someone to have caused harm, but rather that I could move past it, regain the power over my life and wish for them to turn their lives around. You got there much sooner than I did.

Forgiving is a hard battle - you got there quickly, but somehow, knowing you, I am not surprised. That is the Jenny I've come to know, the woman who can extend a prayer and forgiving heart to those who have done her harm. I'm so glad you have become a part of our life!

Joe said...

David's example is indeed profound for us and you capture many of the essential elements. I'm glad you could see that and apply it so well. I'm sure certain Psalms he wrote (Ps 58 comes to mind) express some of the emotions you felt. Yet, it is deep maturity to rest and pray for them.

Thanks for sharing your journey!

Hope the hip clears up...sounds like a natural follow on to a super run last Saturday.

Unknown said...

I am glad that you have been able to begin to come to peace through prayer and forgiveness. I always find things to be much better when I pray and put things back in God's hands instead of trying to figure them out on my own. I have been doing a lot of praying as well trying to get through this time in my life. I hope you are sleeping better now.

Anonymous said...

Jenny,

So glad to read that you are feeling a sense of restored peace. Also, you are a wonderful person for your ability to not only forgive those who hurt you and your family, but to pray for them as well. This world needs many, many more like you.

I hope your tight hip is feeling better!

Happy Spring Break,
Meghan
www.running-blogs.com