Saturday, March 10, 2007

My World has been Rocked

I usually sleep with earplugs, to help drown out my husbands snoring and other noises. I usually pull them out sometime in the early hours of the morning to wake to my alarm.

This morning however, I pulled one out at around 3am because it was bothering my ear. Just a few short minutes later I heard some noise. I thought it was the wind pushing the big swing on my deck, then I heard other movement downstairs like the cabinet door closing and footsteps on my deck. I got up to look outside and couldn't really see much. So I went outside my room to the landing area at the top of the stairs to listen. I didn't really hear anything, but turned and saw someone coming up the stairs. They were dressed completely in black from head to toe. I yelled "What are you doing, get out of my house." They turned and ran out. My husband woke up during this and I yelled "There's someone in the house!" He ran down and out the back door that was wide open.

My 7 year old son woke up too. I was standing outside his door as I was yelling. I went downstairs to find a door to a little cabinet where I keep cookbooks and bowls open and my wallet open and on the floor.

I called the police. It took them about 7 or 8 minutes, or so it seemed, for them to get here. They brought the canine unit. There were three patrol cars. They searched the back yard and tried to pick up a scent. It ended across the street from my house where their getaway car was parked.

I sat on the couch with my husband and son while they did their investigation/search. My insides were all tied up and adrenaline pumped through my body. My husband kept apologizing. My son was upset too. I am thankful my daughter slept through it. We've tried not to let her know.

I think all that is gone is my driver's license, debit and credit cards, a lot of cash that I was going to put in my check book to pay for a couple of marathons I recently registered for. My cell phone, both sets of keys to our truck(with house keys) and my digital camera. Just stuff. Oh, and my sense of security. I don't know if I'll be able to sleep tonight. I didn't go back to sleep this morning.

I'm waiting for the locksmith to come and change our locks and reset the car locks and give us new keys.

I don't understand the mindset of a person who would choose a home with two cars parked out front, go around the back and see children's play things, come inside rummage around downstairs and then have the nerve to come upstairs where it was obvious that people were home, where precious children were sleeping.

A very arrogant person. A cold-hearted person. A person who is lacking love in their life, that they have to steal from others.

I am very shaken up. I know that what is most valuable is safe. I can replace the other things and be inconvenienced for a while. I hope I can regain a sense of security and trust in people I don't know.

I know that God was protecting me and that I have some lessons to learn from this that will make me a better, stronger person. I know this won't happen overnight. I know I have a process to go through. It may take a while. I was jumpy still later on while making toast for my daughter. I jumped a mile when the toaster popped up. I heard something on TV and thought someone was jiggling my front doorknob.

I've been a passenger in enough serious car accidents to know that traumatizing events take time and talking to get over. Here is my start.

I was comforted some when after my run this morning, my crime scene investigator friend came over just to check and see if things were secure. He gave my husband some pointers about how to reinforce the locks on our french doors.

I've made all the cancellation calls and scheduled the locks to be changed. What is in my control is done. The rest is out of my control and I've given it up through prayer. Keep my family and I in your thoughts and prayers as we try to make sense and recover from this senseless action.

Grace and peace to you.
And, hug and kiss your kids, and lock up tight.

I'm pretty ti

14 comments:

Backofpack said...

Jenny,
I so wish this hadn't happened to you. And I am so thankful that the intruder turned and ran instead of attacking you or shooting you. I cannot understand how this can happen - you and Paul are such good, good people - it is not fair for this to happen to anyone, but especially to you. I don't like to think that life can be so capricious as that.

And you are absolutely right - that which is most precious is safe. And we are so lucky to have someone as good and strong as Rick in our lives to offer help and reassurance.

And Jenny, draw strength and comfort from prayer, but also from within, because you are one of the strongest people I know.

IronWaddler said...

Thank heaven you and your family are safe.

Anonymous said...

Jenny,

My goodness, this was just awful to read. I cannot imagine experiencing it. I am so, so sorry.

I don't know much about life, but I seem to notice that the strongest people are often "given" the greatest hardships. Is this because it is only the strongest people that can bear the burdening load? I don't know.

I hope you can find comfort in your family and friends, in prayer, in all of that which is valuable around you.

Thinking of you,
Meghan
www.running-blogs.com/meghan

Sarah said...

Thank goodness you are all safe. You are one brave woman!

JustRun said...

Hi, Jenny-
Here via Michelle. I'm so sorry this happened, I cannot imagine coming face to face with an intruder. I'm so glad he fled when you yelled. Thank goodness you are all safe and you've done everything right. May you all have a little peace tonight.

Unknown said...

Jenny, I could picture the frightening scene as you were describing it and I could feel the fear and insecurity you must have felt. I am thankful that you had the strength and mindset to yell out and that the intruder left without any physical harm to any of your family. I will keep you and your family in my prayers and be sure that God was watching over you and keeping you safe and will continue to do so.

Anonymous said...

Wow! I'm glad you're all safe. But the biggest loss in life is the sense of security. I hope that these people get caught, and quick too!

Wes said...

Jenny, I'm glad that everybody came out safe and unharmed. That is the important thing. You guys tighten up and this violation too will pass. Grace and peace unto you as well.

Anonymous said...

It's frightening and unfortunate when someone invades your world. I've been angry when our cars have been broken into but that is minor compared to your house. Hopefully the bad actions of others will help us appreciate the good around us even more. I am greatful you and your family were not harmed.

Olga said...

OMG, this is so scary, and how you managed to wake up, and thenyell - it's a gift, really. Think of it this way. I am very sorry, it is unbelievable it still happens - and not on TV, but next door, to people we know...be safe and strong for your kids. I'll keep you in my thoughts.

Anne said...

Wow, Michelle was right: You have had a rough weekend. You're good to recognize that it's only stuff. You sure the burglar didn't know you, given he apparently knew where you kept your wallet?

We had someone try to break into our house while I was alone, decorating our Christmas tree to surprise the family. My next-door neighbors saw him take off (he was caught two days later robbing someone else). Since then, I've always kept my purse/checkbook in my bedroom at night, right next to my bed.

runliarun said...

I wish, if I'd be faced with the same situation, I'd have the nerve, the courage, the inspiration, the presence of mind to stand up to it.

You saved your family that night from darker deeds.

Not all people are the same. Not all people share in what we have - this sense of life lived with love, with giving, with caring for others, with self-fulfillment.

Anonymous said...

We've been broken into at both our home and the church though not when we were present. It does take a while for that feeling of being violated to pass.

Most of the time we spend more in repairing the damage done while they are breaking in than replacing the stuff that's taken. Wish you the best as you and your family recover.

Donald said...

Oh my goodness - how scary. Glad everyone is safe. Be well.