Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Back to the Grind

Before school teacher meetings began yesterday. The first day back is always interesting. Reuniting with co-workers you haven't seen since the end of June and catching up with others from around the district. It was a good day. Today was filled with department area professional development. The afternoon session was great, but the morning was a waste of time.

I am catching up on sleep lost while helping at an aid station for the Cascade Crest 100 endurance run. It was a blast to watch people who had just run 53 miles come into the station. I helped get soup and food, take garbage from runners, get drop bags, record who came in and who left and just talk with runner's crew members. It was very inspiring.

After the shift ended and we closed our station we went to sleep. It was 4:00am. I woke up at 7am and laid there till 8am. Eventually we cleaned up(in the pouring rain) and left for the finish. Several of us had planned on going for a run, but the weather and not wanting to be wet and cold for the remainder of the day kept us from taking that run.

The finish was fun. Even more inspiring to watch runners complete their 100 mile journey. Gets me thinking about doing a 50 miler. I'll tuck that into the dream files in my brain and see where it takes me.

I am doing PT now to help my IT relax and stretch out. I am supposed to run less days of the week and cross train. That means the 3 or 4 days I do get to run will all be longer runs from 7-10 miles or more in length. I overslept this morning and missed Michelle's Hill run +2 for 8 miles. I'll run 8-10 this evening. I am supposed to stay away from cambered roads which will be challenging. I plan to run through the park near my house on paved trails and do 5 figure 8 loops and around the sports complex twice. That will be 10 miles. That way I will stay on even surfaces. I'll try to make Michelle's shorter run in the morning, but we'll see. It may be another evening run for me!

On a side note, I found out a wonderful woman I have worked with for going on 6 years has an aggressive form of breast cancer. Her name is Brenda. Please pray for endurance and that her treatments will slow and eventually stop the spread of the cancer cells. She is such a dear and inspiring person. It is hard o see her so sick. I know God will use her and teach her and others many things through this experience. Thanks.

Grace and Peace to you.

7 comments:

Joe said...

The CCC adventure sounded like a real amazing time. I'm sure all the runners were grateful for you help at the aid station. Especially in the middle of the night. Oh my!

My best to Brenda, with my prayers for her fight with this wicked disease. Your support will mean much to her, I know.

Hope your plan helps east the ITB pain! Enjoy your figure 8s!!

wendy said...

I think the cross training idea is great! Hopefully you'll feel super fresh and recovered soon, and then it will be onto 50-miler training season. =)

I can't believe summer is already gone, and school's starting! WOW! You've had a busy summer!

We'll keep Brenda in prayer as well.

Mama said...

Get that sleep, those kids will be in your classroom before you know it. It wouldn't be good for the teacher to be falling asleep in class.

Brenda will be in our prayers as well.

Be Free,
Lorri

Backofpack said...

You guys were awesome at Hyak. It was so great to share the weekend with all of you.

I'm also here to report that you did make it out of bed for the run this morning!

Brenda will be in my thoughts.

Unknown said...

It was a great weekend, however I could have done without the rain. I cannot believe school is right around the corner. Yikes!

I will keep Brenda in my prayers.

King Arthur said...

Thanks for all your help at Hyak. I didn't have a crew but the A/S's were so great I didn't need one.

Journey to a Centum said...

As I try to catch up on my blogging let me first say great job on Danskin! Sounds like you have a good working plan to nurse your IT back into running form. Brenda will be in our thoughts.

Thank you so much for your help at CCC100. As a team you really pulled together a great aid station that I'm sure was appreciated by all the runners and many of the crews.