Saturday, August 18, 2007

Danskin Weekend

I took it a bit slower this week and plan to only run 25 miles( including the 5k in the tri). I did manage to get two practice swims in this week. It would have been good to get another one in, but it is so hard to give up scheduled runs.

Last year I did the Danskin Triathlon in Seattle and thought I would never do it again. Way too big, 7,000 women many of whom it is their first triathlon. The main problem was the expo and bike racking on Saturday. I had to drive forever to get there, park in BFE and then wait in huge lines, then drive not too far away to the bike racking transition area, but it took 1 1/2 hours in traffic to get there. I then had to park 1/2 mile away and ride my bike to the transition area and squeeze it on a rack in a sea of 7,000 other bikes. It took me about 6 hours round trip. I swore, never again.

But then Sunday came. Yes, there were thousands of people there, but the cheesy camaraderie was great. The event itself is very well supported and I had a PR. So, Come February 26th, I registered( this event closes in literally 2 hours).

I was dreading the expo and when an email came to attend a women's financial seminar before the expo and the attendees would get an early bird entry into the expo to pick up their packets, I signed up. It was well worth sitting through the seminar, it was good info. My husband and I already have a financial advisor, so I just ate the free food and listened. Then when it was over we headed down to pick up our packets. I was out of there just as they were letting people into the expo. There were thousands of people waiting in line to get in. I was thankful to be out of there!
Then it was off to the park to rack my bike. It was 9:45 and the transition area wasn't supposed to open till 11am. I thought I'd just wait, but when I got there, they were letting people in. Sweet! I was out of there by 10:30am!! There was a bit of traffic on the way home, but by 11:30, I was done for the day and ready to just double check my bag for tomorrow and to set my alarm for 4:50am.

I still plan on a just for fun race, no time goals. It might be pouring down rain. That's okay, I've done events in the rain before, just is a bit slower. It will be fun no matter what. I'll let y'all know how things turn out with an update tomorrow afternoon.
Till then,
Grace and peace to you.

5 comments:

Backofpack said...

Jenny,
Glad it went well for you today.

Here's my schedule for the week:

Tues 5:30 am hill run + 2
Wed 5:30 am 6 miles
Thurs 5:30 am 5 miles-mostly speedwork at Ferruci, walk with Eric that night at track
Fri 7:30 am 10 miles with Wendy and maybe Rick (and you?)

Sat-Sun CCC crewing, no running.

Are you up for it? Rick has the week off, but I still have to work, so we kept the usual time...

wendy said...

I've heard the staging time is really chaotic for Danskin, so I'm so glad you were able to get in and get out. I hope you have a fun day tomorrow!

Backofpack said...

Jenny,
I'll see you Tuesday then. Have a great time tomorrow - enjoy!

Unknown said...

I hope it all went well. Not the greatest weather today. I look forward to the report.

Joe said...

Ditto Rob!! Look forward to the report! Way to out-wit the registration!!!