Saturday, February 24, 2007

Resolution 15 miler

I just returned home from the Resolution run series, 15 miler. In my last post I said I had a goal of completing the race in 2 hours. I know this was an ambitious goal, but I did complete the race in 2:09. So I was close, and I am very happy with the time.

It was 38 degrees and raining when I arrived at the school where the race begins. I decided to wear my waterproof jacket, gloves, ear muff thingy, and my hat. I started out the race running with Rick, who found out that I had a goal in mind, although he did not know what the goal time was. I told him that he would not like it. I teased him a bit and told him that it was really a dream goal and that I would run as hard as felt good. We ended up only running together for about 2 1/2 miles. At this point Rick told me to go on ahead. I did.

I few minutes later, I caught up with another Y runner who lives a bit further north. She runs with the group on occasion. We ran together for quite some time, chatting about running and triathlons. She told me her goal for the race was to not go over a 10 minute pace, which would mean finishing in 2:30 or less. I decided this was a good goal too. We were at least 5 or 6 miles in by then and well under that goal.

Just ahead of us was Monica, another Y runner. Her boyfriend Mike, was our crew for the day. He took lots of pictures. I'll post some when Monica sends them out. I shed my ear muff thing, gloves and a water bottle throughout the race. It was nice to be able give them to him, rather that stuff things in pockets and carry an empty bottle. Thanks Mike! We high fived Monica at the turn around point, 7.5 miles and soon caught up to her. We ran altogether for probably two miles.

Somewhere between the 9 and 10 mile marker, at an aid station, I did not stop and pulled ahead of the two ladies, never to have them rejoin me. As I passed the 11 mile marker, I was feeling pretty good and decided to see if I could pick it up. I knew there was a hill coming up somewhere, like at mile 13 or so, but I thought I could just slow up a bit when I got there. I was happy with my time so far and just decided to push for the next person in front of me. When I got to that hill, it was easy. The last time I ran that hill I thought I was going to die! It was a piece of cake!

The next person was at least 1/4 mile ahead of me, but I caught her and a few others by the 13 mile marker. I continued to pass people. I even caught up to a woman that I work with in the last mile. She told me she had hit the wall. So, I tried to get to the next two people ahead of me also. I got really close, but in the last loop around the track back at the high school they realized I was coming and picked it up too. They finished a couple of steps ahead of me.

I placed 3rd in the 30-34 age group. 2nd place finished in 1:59 and 1st place in 1:52. So, they were well ahead of me. I am still in first place for the series, with the 20 miles still to go.

It was a really good run, and I think I fueled well. I used e-caps, one before the race, and then 1 per hour. I took a gel before the race, had a few sharkies during the race, and another gel just after the turnaround. I drank about 30 ounces of Gatorade along the way too.

The 20 miler is the 24th of March I believe. Who knows whats in store until then. I'll try to get in lots of miles, maybe a 20 miler in a couple of weeks ( hear that Michelle? I know you wanted a 20 miler in early March! Maybe the 2nd weekend?)

Anyway, I hope that all your running is going well. That's all for now, I gotta go get ready for a playoff basketball game. It's do or die for our boys tonight!

Grace and peace to you.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Congratulations Jenny! Sounds like you had a good race. It's nice to pass people at the end of a race instead of being passed. I hope the boys win the basketball game.

Anonymous said...

Holy smokes, Speedy G! Congrats on a strong finish, and it sounds like you're not too wiped out. =)

Congrats on your hill charge as well, I bet you felt like a rock star after making it up, and feeling like it was easy.

Great job today, and in the series!

Wendy
<><

Anonymous said...

I love it when blog entries about hard runs and races end with chatter about more future hard runs and races!

Congrats on a great race! Sorry you didn't meet your time goal, perhaps it's fuel for the fire?

Thanks, also, for your great commentary over on my blog!

Meghan
www.running-blogs.com/meghan

Joe said...

Jenny awesome race. Particularly being so strong at the end. That brings you back for more.

Thanks too for the details on your fueling patterns. Well concieved and executed.

Very happy for you!!

Backofpack said...

Hey! Where's my comment? I left a comment this morning before I went to coffee. I swear I did!

Congrats on a fast and speedy time Jenny! You are awesome and I swear, getting stronger and faster daily. How do you do that?

Anonymous said...

Congrats, Jenny. You ran the race right by starting slow with Rick and getting faster throughout. You soared like an eagle on wings! Isn't it great to come back strong after a surgery? Go Bionic woman!

Anonymous said...

Jenny
It was really great finding out that I had a 2 hour goal to set on the 15 miler. It was really great to find that out on the day of the race. I am really happy for you on a great race and an awsome come back after your knee surgery. I just have one thing to say. I will catch you in the near future and YES I WILL WINNE the whole time.

Didn't think I would read your blog did you.

Rick

Olga said...

Awesome run, and a good time for 15M!!! Congrats on AG too - sweet:)

Anonymous said...

Are you doing the Resolution Series this year? I am getting a group of people to do the series. A couple of us are training for a marathon. It sounds like great event. Let me know if you want to join us. You can send me an e-mail. Lisa@Konamoxt.com