Sunday, February 11, 2007

New Beginnings

Out with the old and in with the new. As first semester came to a close, I looked forward to 90 new students and a fresh start to 2nd semester. Got my new room cleaned and organized after moving all my stuff last Friday and was ready to go. A 50k last Saturday to clear my head and I felt great Monday. The week seemed to fly by. My new classes are off to a fantastic start(lets keep our fingers crossed that this continues). I feel like I've set the tone for my expectations and that my students are up for the challenge.

I did have one wrench this week. Friday morning, during my plan as I started to catch up on the mornings emails, I opened one that said one of my former students, a girl who I do not have in class this year, but who comes to talk with me at least three times a day, did not go home the night before and that if I see her, I should not let her leave. So I dropped everything and headed to find her counselor, who had sent the email. When I arrived in the office, I found the student with a friend of hers. This student and I have kind of a mentor-like relationship. I make sure I stay within my boundaries, but understand that she looks to me as a positive female mother type. She has lots of home issues. I have reverted somewhat to my church youth director days of counseling kids. Although I do not bring up church or religion in our conversations. I try to be a positive influence and guide her in a positive direction. She tells me she wishes I were her mother. I tell her she still would not like me "telling" her what to do. Now I just offer counsel and advice and try to show her all perspectives, leaving the decisions up to her. That would be different if I were her mother. :) Anyway, I spent a good hour talking with her before I had to get to my last class. We had an assembly and she met me afterwards for another half hour before I had to pick up my kids. This girl is and has been in my prayers for a while. I am hoping for good news tomorrow at school. I did let her know she could call me this weekend if things got too bad. She hasn't called yet.

Recovery this week was interesting. I never really felt sore after the Pigtail's Run 50K. I knew my hamstrings were tight, but no pain. So, I took Sunday off to eat and watch the Superbowl. Monday I opted for an hour spin class at the Y. I felt good, but my calves were feeling it by the end of the class. Tuesday came and I was tired all over so I rested. Wednesday I was feeling good again and a bit ambitious. It is fairly hilly around my house and I opted for my hill run instead of a flat run through a local park. As I said, I was feeling ambitious. I decided I'd run about 8.5 miles of hills. I stared off and immediately felt tired. I thought I just needed to warm up. But as I said, this run is hilly. the run starts out with about a quarter mile flat, then down a big hill before a half mile or so uphill. by the time I got to the top of that hill, a mile into my 8 mile run, I was already contemplating where to shave the run. The next section, about a mile is plain flats. I decided the flats were more tiring than the hills. I slowed way down. by the time I got to where I could continue or go up a huge hill, I opted to shave that section off. Goodbye two miles--one huge up hill, out and back and a steep downhill. I still had plenty of hills to go. I picked the pace back up and continued leaving those two miles behind. I plugged along, glad I brought Gatorade along. I was thinking, "how could I feel so good, but be SOOO tired." By the time I got up the last hills and to the park near my house I had already decided to shave off the last mile loop around the elementary and high schools and just head home for 5.5 miles. So my ambitious goal of 8.5 miles died and I was happy just to finish 5.5. I was exhausted, pooped, dead. I decided to take Thursday and Friday off to rest. Saturday I felt great again and found myself in a group of runners at the Y who were off to run HILLS. Michelle's famous Wednesday hill run in fact. Plus from the Y and back for 7.5 miles. We were over a mile into the run before I actually found out that this was where we were heading. IT was fine with me, I've done this run several times with Michelle (and walk breaks). I mentioned this to Eric and his response was, "I saw you on that last loop of the 50k, you don't need any walk breaks!" Ahhhh, this is true. I don't need walk breaks. But they are so enjoyable sometimes, especially once you've gotten to the top of a fairly large hill! I looked forward to the challenge. I was feeling fine until the top of the last of the really big hills. I was very thirsty and wishing I'd brought a water bottle with me and my hamstrings were beginning to feel tight. I was running with Eric, Elaine (home form Iraq), Rick, Deb, and the other Michelle. Eric was very kind and kept looping back to those of us who are not as fast as he. Though Deb just took off! Elaine was going fast too, but would stop to rest and let everyone else catch up. Rick stayed back with the other Michelle and I was in the middle most of the time. I slowed way down for the last couple of miles. My tiredness caught up with me. We finished the 7.53 hilly miles in 1:16.

Sunday's run was an easy 3.5 on the trails through the local park with my son on his bike. I felt good the whole time and about sprinted on occasion while pushing my son up the small hills. We had a great time.

All in all it was a good work week, great home week, weird, but good run week. I forgot to mention it was my Paul and my 10th anniversary on the 8th. We went to Salty's on Redondo Beach last night. I had Steak and King crab. It was awesome! Our waitress thought it was funny that I had to cut my husband's steak for him. As he still has little use of his right arm 8 weeks after shoulder surgery and is still in the sling. We had a fantastic night out. We are looking forward to 10 plus, plus, plus more years together! My husband and I are closet Dead Heads so I said I couldn't even say of our marriage, "What a Long Strange Trip it's Been." More like, "Truckin.'" He thought that was pretty funny. It was a great night. Too fast though. Should've gotten the babysitter for longer!

Grace and Peace to you.

11 comments:

Backofpack said...

Jenny,
Congrats on 10 great years of marriage! I just know you'll be celebrating 50 someday!

Your student is lucky to have you in her life - I'm sure she blesses you just as you bless her. You are the best!

And as for the hill run yesterday - 1:16 is about what we did the 6 miles in last summer! Wow, same time but 1.5 miles further!

Can't wait to tell you about my visit to the new shoe store today...

Unknown said...

1. I hope all is well with the student.

2. A little rest is good you know.

3. I can't believe I've been married longer than you.

4. I can't believe you're a closet dead head.

5. I saw the Grateful Dead in Eugene and also at Portland Meadows about a year or two before Jerry Garcia died. I love the Dead.

Jenny, Maniac #401 said...

Rob- Yeah,.. Something else new about me! :) I saw the Dead in Eugene in 1990 and at their very last Seattle show in 1995 two months before Jerry died, on Paul's birthday I might add. We celebrate one birthday and grieve for another every year!
Jenny
P.S. I think Paul and I own every Dead album (CD) and something else wierd about Michelle..., she doesn't know ANY Dead songs. Hard to believe. :)

Joe said...

That student is very fortunate to have you around, Jenny. Thanks for spending the time with her.

Enjoy some rest time.

Happy Anniversary!! May there be many more!!!!

Backofpack said...

Hey! No picking on me in your comments! Funny, I was reading Rob's comment and trying to think if I've ever heard a Grateful Dead song. Maybe I'll get Riley to pull one up for me, just so I can be "in".

Backofpack said...

Um, Jenny. Riley says that the Dead are a stoner band!?! Is it true? He pulled up two songs for me to listen to - Truckin and Hell in a Bucket. I was surprised - I thought it was going to be screaming hard rock kind of stuff. It was okay. I still don't recognize the songs though.

Jenny, Maniac #401 said...

Michelle, It's okay. I'll bring you some music to listen to. Yeah, It's a stoner band. I'm not a stoner. More like a hippie band.

Backofpack said...

Oh, a hippie band. I'm an old hippie at heart, and Webber is a total hippie, and yet I still don't know the songs. I must not have been a very good hippie.

Backofpack said...

Oh, and I should have added, Riley explained to me that it is because of who you are that the idea that you are a closet Deadhead is so funny. He wasn't surprised by Rob though.

Olga said...

Congrats on making 10 years, and sounds like good ones.

Anonymous said...

Ahh, hearing you all talk about The Dead brings back a different age for me. Partying with Crazy Richard and my brother in my college years. And yes Michelle they were a major stoner band but very tallented with a unique combination of Bluegrass, Jazz, and Rock backgrounds. A long strange trip does describe my life and the variety is what makes our group so enjoyable. Saint Steven has some interesting irony for me. See ya all Saturday.