Wednesday, February 7, 2007

6 Weird Things

Thank you Bob for asking me to share my weirdness. I've been thinking about it for the past few days and asking my family and others to help me figure out what is weird about me.

Maybe it's weird that I can't think of things that are weird. I realize that I do have quarky, even weird things about me, but to me they are not weird. My husband thinks it's weird, to quote him, "freaky" that I started this blog. He also thinks that all long distance runners are weird, having lived with some extremely weird members of the cross country team in college. I can vouch for their weirdness. They were very.... unique.

So, here is my attempt at bearing my weirdness to you. Tomorrow, I may have to add more as I will no doubtedly think of many weird things all night long as this is bound to keep me up tonight (maybe that's weird).

1. Some people think it is weird that I tend to make sound effects when I stretch sore muscles. Even when I move sometimes I make ooohh, ahhhh, oooo, sounds. Usually this happens after a run or race, or knee surgery, that leaves me particularly sore. I use a tiger tail roller or a foam roller regularly to get the kinks out and aid in recovery. Sound effects just go with it. Helps everything with a little added sound. It doesn't really matter who's around when this happens.

2. Because there have been so many ironing posts during this tag, I too felt compelled to share my own personal weirdness on the topic. It might be weird that I only iron once or twice per year. Ironing usually occurs right before school starts, over Labor day weekend and during another vacation from school. So far this year, I've ironed once. Yes, this means some clothes only get worn once or twice per year. Others can go a couple wearings between washings and get a bit more wear. This also applies to my husband's and children's clothes. Needless to say, I try to buy wrinkle free and remove clothes from the dryer as soon as they are done. Actually, I'm not sure if this is weird or just lazy.

3. I think it is kinda weird that I enjoy reading young adult novels and watching teen/preteen shows on Disney. I think it comes from all my years of teaching 7th grade.

4. I keep all handwritten letters and most cards with handwritten messages. This comes from my weirdness as a history geek. Maybe my correspondence will one day be someone's primary source document--or my children's packing material after I'm gone and they have to sort through all my stuff.

5. I'm a photography buff and have just about every photo I've taken since I was in the 4th grade. I'm obsessive about labeling the back of each photo with who's who, the date, place and age of the people in the photo. Who knows what I'll remember when I'm 80. This hording, drives my husband crazy as I have rubbermaid tubs full of photos in the garage.

6. This one is only because the Birkenstocks with socks thing just ISN'T weird and I had a hard time thinking of anything else.
There have been times, random times, no one but me knows when times, that I'll break out in song, jump up and click my heels, dance, even breakdance at the pure joy of whatever. Few have been witness to this, but if you just keep watching......

So, that's my weirdness. It's all I could come up with. Now, if there was a list, 6 weird things about your spouse, or better yet, 6 weird things about the people you run with... now that would be funny!

Grace and peace to you.

3.

6 comments:

Backofpack said...

Oh come on - you know there isn't anything weird about the people YOU run with. I, personally, am a paragon of normality.

I seldom iron either. When we got married, Mom gave an ironing board and iron to Eric - she told him she knew I wouldn't need it!

Olga said...

I like to watch all the tenn shows and movies too. And it actually makes me cry...what only prooves my cry weirdness:)
No ironing, hooray to USA! Try this in Russia...

Joe said...

Ironing is overrated...hooray for wrinkles!!!

Sarah said...

I love #6! : )

Unknown said...

Most of the time my clothes do not get pulled out of the dryer right away and then they are shoved into a basket and wrinkled away. Sorry, maybe it's OCD, but I cannot stand wrinkles. I hope that this will help me climb the professional ladder while the upper management overlooks all the people with wrinkled clothes. And Yes, it is WEIRD to wear socks with Birks. I think it's even weirder than ironing my running shorts.

Backofpack said...

Jenny,
Remember what you told me? No FOMO, no pressure! Resist the FOMO!

Really, I signed up expecting only Eric. He volunteered to pace me and crew. Then Darcy jumped in, then Michelle S., and now maybe Rick.