Monday, December 22, 2008

Pigtails frozen Flat A** and Life

Well, It has been a rough last few days. Not only with all the snow, missing school, holiday rush etc... but my father-in-law passed away on Thursday after a 2 year battle with esophageal cancer.
I made sure it was okay with my husband to run Pigtails with all the hullabaloo of planning and preparing for the memorial and graveside services. He assured me he wanted me to still run. It was good to be out on Saturday, my kind of peace. Bright, sunny, snowy, 26.2 miles and great friends. Sometimes it just helps to run.
Rob, Me and Steve nearing the finish. Rob needed lots of
"motivating" to make it to the end. Photo: Rich Walter

Today was the graveside service in a foot of snow. It was beautiful and peaceful. To me it offered a serene sense of calm. A stillness to reflect upon what we hold most dear... those we love. I was filled with awe watching my mother-in-law surrounded by her grandchildren. My daughter Annika on her left, 11 month old nephew PJ in her lap, my nephew Jacob to her right, and then my son Michael. She kept grabbing back for my 12 year old niece Emily's hand to be sure to include her too. Other family and friends surrounded the canopy. Baby PJ clapped, cooed and tried to reach out for the flowers. It appeared like he was waving goodbye to Grandpa. It was very sweet. My son Michael put his arm around my nephew when he became sad. Grandma hugged them all close. It was a beautiful display of unconditional love and support. Then we all went out for a big lunch together, just as my father-in-law would want. Just being together, enjoying one anothers company. Laughing and having a good time.
Tomorrow is the memorial and then we will focus on Christmas. It seems so far away after the other events of the last few days. I am not ready, but I never am.
My parents will try to come up from Portland if they can get out from all the snow, otherwise we will celebrate after we all thaw out. I hope they can make it, all I want is to be together with the ones I love. We all need to be reminded to appreciate one another and to remember to tell those we care about how much we love them.

I look forward to running more this break. I ran today in a foot plus of snow. It was like doing high knees training for over a mile until I could get onto trails where quads had been. It was a tough run, but very pretty. Coming up I will try to get to the First Call to Run and the Western Washington Fat ass. I'll have to run with the guys to be sure I keep up and make any cut-offs. I hope they don't mind me tagging along!

Well, I am off to read (my other escape) and finish my book- Brisinger... A good read.
Grace and Peace to you.

6 comments:

Backofpack said...

Jenny,
Glad to hear it went well today, and that you felt peaceful about it all. Hope Paul found peace too. I thought of your family several times. See you soon.

Unknown said...

My prayers go out to you and your family. I hope your parents can make it upfor Christmas. We're hoping we can make it down to Portland. It looks like we'll be thawing out soon.

Of course you can tag along with us. I'll try to keep up better.

Darrell said...

Sorry to hear of sad news at the holidays. The picture you paint of your mother-in-law with her grandkids is beautiful. That will be a lasting memory.

Merry Christmas to you and happiness in the New Year.

Joe said...

Jenny, so sorry to hear of your father in law's death. That is a long road.

Today (Dec 24) is the 15th anniversary of my Dad's death. It is hard to have this at Christmastime. Yet, the memories are good ones. It was wonderful for his wife to have the grandkids surrounding her, plus the support of family...that will mean so much. Do stay in close touch with her over the next few months...she'll appreciate it.

My prayers for you all. Rejoice in "Emmanuel" despite the sadness of losing your FIL.

Cat. said...

I love that picture of the three of you! Sounds like a fun time.

Cat. said...

Jenny,
I hadn't read the second part of your entry when I wrote the above comment. I'm sorry for your loss.

Cat.