Thursday, January 25, 2007

Start of the end of semester crunch!

It's been a few days and I felt like I needed to write again. I ran about 5.5 miles on Monday and felt really good. Tuesday I was busy at school with students trying to retake tests before the end of the semester and missed my workout window. It's just about the end of the semester, Feb. 1 and I have all the crunch time kids who wait till the last minute to get caught up. For some it seems to take a long time to realize that it is faster just to do things as they are assigned instead of late and a bunch of assignments all at once. They are lucky I guess that I accept late work at reduced credit! Had the same Wednesday, but students were finished quicker and I was able to get to the Y in time for an hour long Spin class. I love those spinning classes. They are one tough workout. I find that running fitness doesn't help you endure a tough spin class, but spinning helps you endure a long or tough run. I also find that it is the only thing I can do to actually lose weight. Yesterday's class was pretty tough. I tried hard to make it even tougher. I wanted a good sweat and to feel exhausted when I was done. I made it about 13 miles on the little doodad thing that keeps track of your cadence, time and distance. I'd call it a bike computer like I have on my road bike but the instructors always call it something different. Anyway it was great, and I sure slept well. Today, I raced to pick up my son after school and to get home so I could get a run in before having to help with homework, make dinner and take my son to basketball practice. Okay, here's my whine for the day, my son, who is 7 and in 1st grade, has baseketball practice at 7:30pm!!! He is usually getting ready for bed at 7:30pm. I am told that the coaches get to choose the practice time. We've only had one practice and Friday morning was NOT fun. Hopefully tomorrow's wake up experience will be better. I was able to run 6ish miles. We live next to a high school, elementary school and sports complex with a trail linking them to a park with trails. If I go around both schools and do two laps of the park it is 6ish miles. I tried to do some intervals, I got about 4 in that were about 400 meters each. It was a good run. I'll take tomorrow off and then will run 10 hilly miles at Point Defiance with Michelle on Saturday. I'd really like to run on Sunday afternoon too, but my husband has a baseball coaching clinic at University of Washington. Maybe if he gets home early enough I'll be able to get out for a run.

I just finished showing the PG version of Glory to my US History students today. I never cease to be amazed at that movie. It gives me goose bumps every time. All of America needs to re-watch this film, just to be reminded at what our country was going through150 years ago and how they persevered and overcame such a huge struggle. The movie ends with these men giving all they had, all they are to the effort to take Fort Wagner, to help end a struggle that had been theirs for 250 years. Some died, some lived. Their efforts and sacrifice will not go unforgotten. Hopefully my students were impacted. I know I am, every time.

grace and peace.

3 comments:

Backofpack said...

You almost have me convinced. Almost. To try a spin class that is. I find the thought of it a little bit scary. Plus, I don't know about the whole heartrate thing. If I'm required to keep my hr below 160 running, does that apply to spinning? I've never spun, so I don't know if that would be easy to do or hard to do. Plus the mechanics of the bike are a little much. Seat adjustment, special shoes?? Will I get saddle sore? Too much to think about.

I'm glad you got a couple of good workouts in - you can show me the additional three miles at the track this spring.

I've only seen Glory once, and I remember it as a very good and moving movie.

See you bright and early Saturday!

Joe said...

Jenny, thanks for your comment about A.R.T. Fascinating. Do you find the kineso tape helpful, by itself?? Where do you put it for the ITB issues...just on top of the ITB??

Maybe we can take this off line...you can email me at ely at insightbb dot com.

Great movie indeed...those things are helpful. With my son in Baghdad right now, I am even more grateful for the job soldiers take on.

We ought to talk about baseball sometime...I've been an umpire for 30 years!! All of my passwords on my various computers have a baseball theme...it's hopeless!!

Unknown said...

Glad to hear you are getting some running and spinning in. I am running from the Y on Saturday so I don't know if I will see you two, or not.