Monday, January 22, 2007

Recovery

Recovering from the Capitol Peak Fat Ass has not been too bad. The run was in itself a spectacular event. The trail was beautiful, snowy, icy and muddy. and due to the horrible "V" trench of mud near the end, I have only one remaining spot of soreness. The inside portion of my right ankle to my heel. I think it is from placing my foot down repeatedly at weird angles for 17 or so miles. It is not painful or difficult to walk. I pretty much just feel it when I stretch. I took Sunday off, and do plan to run a few miles today. The biggest thing in recovering was removing the tape from around my knees. You see in October of 2005, I had surgery for a torn Meniscus. 40% removed from the lateral side of my left knee. I spent a year in what was dubbed, "The Bionic knee" brace, a Breg brace designed to keep equal pressure on both sides of the knee. After I ran the Portland Marathon, this October in the thing, I said never again! So, I have started to tape my knee for runs longer than about 15 miles. I had been seeing a chiropractic sports physician because she practiced A.R.T or Active Release Therapy for what I thought was just IT issues but it turned out to be the meniscus. I also saw her for some other issues last summer for the same ART therapy ( Which is a miraculous treatment by the way). This time she used something new on me, Kinesio tape. It is a type of athletic tape that is thin and very pliable. It does not restrict movement the way regular athletic tape does, and it can be left on for 3-5 days to not only help support during activity, but to aid in recovery as well. So I went to take it off this morning which usually is not a big deal. Though for some reason I had the idea to use adhesive spray this time to see if it would help it stay on even longer. Well, yes it did, and as it seems some of my skin came off with it! Next time, I think I'll decline the use of the adhesive spray. If the tape is already meant to last 3-5 days, it does not need any help to stay longer!
It's time to think about what is coming up next. I skipped a 10 miler of our local resolution Run series for the fat ass, and the 15 miler is on Feb. 25th. Coming up sooner, I have signed up to run 2 loops of the Pigtails run. I think it is 19 miles. That is what Michelle has told me anyway. So more trails are in the future. I loved the two trail runs I have completed so far. One in August in hot desert weather, and one now in the winter with lots of snow!

I have been reading in Genesis about Joseph. Joseph was the beloved son of a man with many sons. Those sons tried to, and wanted to kill him, but instead sold him to be a slave. There are many lessons to be learned from Joseph, but for me it is perseverance and forgiveness. Joesph lived for many years as a slave and in prison. He was treated badly, yet he never complained and always looked for how God could use him positively in the situation. Which is my lesson. Not that I am in any bad situations, but that whatever is going on, to look for how I am supposed to be used for good in that situation. And second, to forgive. Joseph always forgave. In the end he welcomes his brothers into his riches and makes a place for them. He holds no grudges, nothing but love for his family. I want to be like that too. Whatever the circumstance, to be able to forgive and welcome those who may have hurt me. Today. I'll try to be a bit more like Joseph.

grace and peace to you.

10 comments:

matt said...

once you come over to the dark side, you will never want to go back to the roads :)

welcome and i hope all of your runs are enjoyable!

*jeanne* said...

Welcome to the world of virtual life...

aka

Blogland!

Backofpack said...

Jenny,
I'm hobbling around like I'm...I don't know...49 years old or something! Seriously, if I sit for a while I get really, really stiff. I did successfully teach Pilates this morning and actually did all the exercises. I might try a run tomorrow - nice and easy.

How did you get to post at 10:01 am? I like your story about Joseph - and best of all I like your philosophy. You've given me something to think about again (you are always a teacher!)

Olga said...

Jenny, are you hobbling as well, or is it only Michelle? :)

Jenny, Maniac #401 said...

Olga
I am not hobbling. I feel great! No problems.
Jenny

Anonymous said...

Jenny,

I'm glad you had a good time at Capitol Peak last weekend. Thanks for stopping over on my blog!

Meghan
www.running-blogs.com/meghan/

Legs and Wings said...

Good to meet you! I am going to enjoy your posts. I appreciate your thoughts on Joseph.

Joe said...

Hi Jenny!! It was so nice to meet you in Portland last October and now Michelle has persuaded you to blog as well!!

I love your blog title...good for you. Joseph was quite a guy, indeed.

I'd enjoy hearing more about A.R.T....I'm fighting a nagging ITB injury that started in Portland.

Welcome to the blogosphere!!

Donald said...

Michelle sent me over here. Welcome to the blogging world. Have fun with your running and writing.

Anonymous said...

I think what I appreciate about Joseph is that he seems to have made the best of every bad situation, grew from it, and was prepared for each new and unpredictable event in the process. Thanks for your thoughts.