Monday, February 4, 2008

Lord Hill

Lord Hill. Yup, it's got hills. Boy, my legs can feel it today. Upstairs is not so bad, down, I make a few noises.

Let's just say on the way home it was slushy rain and I started hoping for a two hour late start for school today.

My prayers were answered this morning at 5:14 when the phone rang announcing a two hour delay. I changed the alarm and slept in till 7am. My body was thankful. Sorry Rob. I survived the rest of the day. I am very tired. My body is okay, I feel like I could go for a short jog. I am just super tired. I will go to bed early tonght. As soon as I am done typing.

For my report: I met Steve, Eric, Jamal at Eric's house at 5:15am and we were off to pick up Rob in SUmner on our way to a fabulous run. We also picked up karen in Bellevue for a packed car! It was already a fun day, just on the car ride up!

I was excited to try running with my husband's Ipod. I knew I'd be alone for the majority of the race and I wanted to not have the negative self-talk I had on Capitol Peak. The batteries died at 12 miles into the race just into the second loop. I sang to myself and kept things positive!

I divided the course into mini-sections. First was the rocky out and back hill, next was the rocky mud puddle road section, third was the big hill/barn/elevator shaft/big hill section, then the foresty section with some mud to the end. I checked them off my mental list each time I went through.

The first loop I mostly ran except on the big hills. The second loop I tried to listen to my garmin beeps and take regular walk breaks on the runable sections to keep my energy up. On the third loop I tried to run as much as I could. I mostly hiked up the bigger hills but ran as I could. I had to walk down most of the hills in the rocky mud puddle road section as I didn't want to break an ankle going down hill on the giant rocks. I enjoyed passing by people throughout the race on the out and back sections. On the last loop I pretty much only saw Karen and Arther who was doing his last lap backwards.

I had two sorta scary encounters with people in the park when I was down towards the barn. First was a man walking his german shepherd. The man was nice, but his dog wanted to play with me! He pan along and beside and around me all the way up the hill towards the elevator shaft hill. The second was a scary man walking up the hill as I was going down towards the barn on the last loop. I jan along waiting for him to jump out from behind a tree and assault me in my time of no muscle control. He didn't and I was happy. I tackled that elevator shaft in 4 minutes on the last loop! I side stepped each time I went up to use different muscle groups. I had a vision here of the scary guy at the top waiting to knock me over backwards and watch me roll all the way down. Didn't happen. One more big hill left and I could coast my way in to the finish! I made it and was determined to run the last two miles. I pretty much did and was estatic to see Steve coming to greet me about a half mile from the finish. He ran in with me and we made it till just before the end is a steepish hill. We walked up the last bit of it and the I ran the very last incline to the finish line! Whew! My glutes and left hip were bothersome, and the regular achy knees, but other than that I felt fine. The achyness is gone today and I can tell I worked hard yesterday and am exhausted still but I don't hurt anywhere.

It was a really great day. I am happy with my time and know that I can run a tough 50k. I still look forward to running a 50 miler sometime in the future!
So, Lord Hill was a blessing on a cold Sunday morning. The weather was good, the people were great, the course was challenging and I met it head on. I was blessed again with a chance to get some extra rest this morning. I couldn't ask for more.

Grace and peace to you.

8 comments:

Backofpack said...

You make me laugh - I hoped for a snow day last Monday to sleep in, and got it. You hoped for one today and got it. We're a couple of lucky girls! Even more, you are right, we are lucky to have such a great group of friends to run with. You did a fabulous job and didn't let your vivid imagination take over! Great job Jenny!

Journey to a Centum said...

I'm not tracking your 50K races very well, am I. Congratulations on your fourth 50K!

Excellent write up. I feel like I was there with you. Wait... I was! Bummer about the I-Pod battery. This was a rare run where I turned mine on at the start and kept it on to the finish. I saw a couple of wierd guys on the course too! That rattler guy, Steve, Jamal. I just don't feel comfortable around them.:-)

Glad you were able to get a little extra sleep today! I was surprised to hear that the schools were delayed but the roads were icy this morning.

Trail Scat

Mama said...

Yeah, Jenny. You are an amazing woman. I guess we have your bottle and cup, but I don't know whose shirt. I will go look at Eric's pictures to see if I see a number on them.
Take care of your tired body.
Be Free,
Lorri

Anonymous said...

I had the same strategy, break it up in small sections, take walk breaks early, and at the end run when you can. My mantra for the day was relax and enjoy. My only worry was if I would bonk after going out to fast trying to catch Rob.

You did great on a very tough course and I'm glad you are recovering well.

King Arthur said...

Great job!! You looked great when I saw you. I really had to push it just to catch up to you.

Unknown said...

Way to go, Jenny! I must admit that I am jealous you had a 2 hour late start. I have had 2 12 hour+ days in a row and I am beat. I did walk 3.5 miles with Jessica last night and it felt pretty good to loosen things up.

wendy said...

OMG, eric cracks me up - who knew those boys could be such weirdos!

Seriously, I would have been terrified! You are hard core, girlfriend!

Way to go on finishing what sounds like a very tough course!

Joe said...

Jenny, you are awesome. Way to sing yourself through this.

Your conditioning is clearly doing well. Glad you knees are holding up well, along with the ol' ITB.

Very happy for you!!!