Monday, January 21, 2008

Capitol Peak Mega Fat (half)Ass

I was prepared to run 34 miles on Saturday, determined to complete two loops on Capitol Peak. After checking the times of previous races, I had given myself a cutoff time of 4:15 for the first loop. If I came in after than, no second loop. What I did not factor in, was that they changed the course this year into figure 8 loops. And another issue I did not factor in because I did not know about it, was their own noon cutoff time. I am a bit unhappy with the outcome or Capitol Peak because I would have done things differently (walk less), but I can live with it. I have already signed up for Lord Hill, hopefully to complete my mudfest.
Besides the being told I was past the noon cutoff, (which meant you had to finish in 3:55, because the started at 8:05am) The day went well. I enjoy running in the mud, it just makes me laugh. I feel like an 8 year old making mud pies to sell in the front yard. I discovered that it is much easier to plow right through the middle of the muddy trail than to zig zag around. You put your feet into the mud instead of slipping along the sides. Once or twice in the big likes of mud i thought I would loose a shoe. The mudfest was pretty much over once through the first part of the figure 8. I did loose the chest strap to my camelback somewhere along that trail, and twist my left ankle pretty good. This cause me to walk extra for a few minutes which probably cost me my 2nd loop.

The next part of the course was more snowy and had more elevation. I had done the majority f this trail last year and remembered quite a bit of it. I felt really good body wise. I did have some negative self talk while climbing a few times and thought how can I do this? I started to sing to myself and things went better. I had intended to grab my husband's Ipod to run with since I knew I would be alone, but I forgot it. I prefer to run without it anyway.
I began to anticipate the muddy "trench of doom." I kept thinking it has to be worse than last year because the rest of the trail is so muddy. When I got there it was bad, but not as bad as last year, I think anyway. This year you could actually put your foot down flat. It was more of a U shaped trench of doom than the V shaped trench of doom from last year. It also seemed much shorter. The trail had been fixed up a bit it seems with gravel and the bikers ruin it into what becomes the runners trench of doom. So I actually ran through the trench, stopping once to try and scrape the pound and a half of mud from my shoes and continued on.
Once at the finish, in 4:15 and trying to get over not being able to go out again, I settled by the fire and had a great time hanging out and talking with fellow runners and keeping warm.
The others from the Y trickled in, Abi, Jane, Michelle and Cat, then a couple hours later, Eric and Steve and Rob came in having completed the 34+ mile course.
Eric, Steve Rob, Michelle and I went to eat at Red Robin and headed home.
It was a great day in the mud. I am disappointed that I didn't get to meet my challenge of 34+miles at capitol Peak. There's always next year or another race. It wasn't my day. I am okay with that. My body doesn't hurt and I can plan ahead to Lord Hill in two weeks during the Super Bowl!

Grace and Peace to You.

8 comments:

Backofpack said...

From what I've been told, you'll get plenty of mud at Lord Hill! It is a big bummer that they added a cut off but didn't announce it. Maybe it's always been there, or maybe they added it after the last one came in last year. Either way, it was tough for you. I think it would be better if you were mentally prepared for the possibility. I think you'll rock at Lord Hill and meet your goal!

Unknown said...

There was no announced cutoff time, which should have been stated before the race even though it was a Fat Ass I think it is still common courtesy to let people plan accordingly. Like you said, you could have skipped a few walk breaks on the first half and then caught up to me on the second half. You handled the forced decision with grace like you always do. Lord Hill is a good place for another challenge. It has an epic hill that you can see on the race website.

Nice running with you this morning.

Sarah said...

Glad you survived the trench of doom yet again! : ) Sorry about the cut-off. That's too bad they didn't announce it so you could plan accordingly.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry you didn't get the pleasure of a second trip through the mud. In their defense, it would not be a good course to have runners finish in the dark. So you had a great training run and are ready for Lord Hill.

Laura H said...

I enjoyed meeting you on the first loop and again apologize for all the profanities my ankle forced out of my mouth! ;-) I'll see you at Lord Hill. I'm planning on just one loop, but I'll cheer you on for your three! Good job last Saturday - that was tough! And good tips about running right through the mud!

Joe said...

I remember the "trench of doom" from last year's report...glad you motored through it this time.

Bummer on the cutoff, though...yeah, disappointing. And, you handled it with grace. Like we're surprised.

Nice run...enjoy the Super Bowl run!

Journey to a Centum said...

Jenny,

You are going to rock at Lord Hill! I couldn't find a darn thing about the cutoff time on the web site.

I wonder if there is a Red Robin near Lord Hill Run?

Have a great weekend!

Eric

wendy said...

jenny, sounsd like a great run for you nonetheless, and at least you were defintiely prepared to run both loops. That trench of doom cracks me up - I remembered it from last year too.

I can't wait to hear about Lord Hill now!