Sunday, November 18, 2007

Turkey Trot 5k..... and I was Tagged

Sorry that it has been a while since my last post. I have been busy with school and family.

I decided for my run today, that I would go to a local race. The last time I ran it, it was a five miler. Today though, it was only a 5k. I decided I would take part of the loop again after I finished to make it at least 5 miles.

This is a small race put on by the Fort Steilacoom Running Club and was held at Fort Steilacoom Park on mostly gravel, grass and dirt trail with a little bit of asphalt thrown in. It happened to be the High school Cross country district championships course. I opted for my trail shoes as it had been fairly rainy this week. It is a great park for running. The problem was, it is a small race and the course wasn't clearly marked. If no one was ahead of me I didn't always know where to go. I literally stopped twice to ask people behind me which way to go! Once a volunteer made sure you made a turn to go up a steep hill, he said to turn left 2/3 of the way up and go down, problem was I had no idea if I was 2/3 of the way up! I just chose a path and went down. I could hear people follow me a ways back. Finally I came out and found a marker. People could have come down a different way, but I think I had the correct trail. I also stopped close to the finish, I could see a volunteer, but there was about three different paths I could take to get to him. He yelled and waved which way to go and I made it. So overall, it was a confusing race, but it was a good run. I ended up with first place for my age group and a 17 lb. turkey from the drawing! I'll save it for Christmas. I already bought a much smaller one for my family of 4.

After finishing, I went back out to make my run 5 miles total. I went back up to the trails and down around a small lake. Here, on the asphalt my trail shoes felt slippery. The path is an old road and was trying to grow moss.

I'll slow down for the rest of the week. I am running The Ghost of Seattle Marathon on Saturday and need to rest up! It should be another great run with Michelle!

Now, on to the tagging business....

Michelle tagged me. Here's the deal:

Link to your tagger and post these rules on your blog.
Share 5 facts about yourself on your blog, some random, some weird.
Tag 3 people at the end of your post by leaving their names as well as links to their blogs.Let them know they are TAGGED by leaving a comment on their blog.

1. I am half a set of fraternal twins. I have a twin brother who also lives nearby. We have only spent one school year apart our freshman year of college. He stayed home, then joined me at Pacific Lutheran University, Go Lutes!
2. I love the fall. The colors, the smells, the falling leaves, running through the fallen leaves, the weather, wearing cozy clothes and pumpkin spice lattes return to Starbucks and egg nog coming soon!
3. I am not a morning person, I enjoy getting up early, but leave me alone. I will most likely be grumpy.
4. I cannot wink. I think I deserve a special parking permit. It is a handicap.
5. I love creating. From painting, or photography, to clay, to sewing to cooking. Anything that involves making something. I don't get to be crafty too much, but I do love it!

There's so much more I could say, glad I only had to choose 5 things...I 'll save the others for long car rides and long runs, so come along for the ride!

I tag: Rob, Wendy and Joe. Have fun!

Grace and peace to you.

9 comments:

Backofpack said...

Rob got double tagged - you and Eric both!

Glad you had fun at the Turkey Trot - I forgot you were doing it (yesterday was a long time ago!)

I think I knew four out of five things. You had me on the winking.

Anonymous said...

You won a turkey at a run raffle, how cool. I've seen you in the mornings before runs, you are a little quieter but do not qualify for grumpy. You will have to put out a much better effort in the future to earn that title. The Harry Potter party you put on was not crafty, but certainly creative. You are just channeling that art into your kids for now.

Enjoy Thankgiving and the greater truth behing it.

Journey to a Centum said...

Hey Hey Hey! You double tagger you! You double tagged poor ol Wendy! Does that mean she has to tell us 10 things about herself?

Eric

Unknown said...

I love the turkey trots, but I have never run one. I would run the one in Portland, but it's like $30 so maybe I'll just volunteer instead. Good luck at the Ghost. I won't be there. We decided to stay in Portland instead.

Mama said...

We should talk craft sometime.
Be Free,
Lorri

Journey to a Centum said...

Yes, you are absolutly right! We know cool people and everyone digs us!

wendy said...

I didn't know a lot on your list, so I thought it was great. =)

Congrats on the 1st place finish, AND a turkey. And, just so you know, if 17 lbs is too much for your family, you can invite me over. =)

Sarah said...

I can't wink either. Definitely support group worthy. : )

Joe said...

Jenny, I just posted my tag. Hope it brings a smile!