Sunday, November 4, 2007

Autumn Leaves 50K




What an awesome day.

First of all Michelle, Eric,( see Eric and Michelle for photos of the event) Steve and I had a great drive to Portland where we were able to stay at my parent's house the night before the race. They have been gracious enough to host us three times now, from 4 people to 11. Thanks Mom and Dad!
Photos courtesy of Tom Riley

The day began quite early with wake up at 4:00am. We left the house by 5am for the 19 mile drive to Champoeg State park where the race was being held. I grew up going to this park nestled along the Willamette River. It has wide open fields and forested areas for day and overnight use. It was as beautiful as I remembered.

Michelle, Steve, Rob and I took the early start, with Rob and Steve running the 50 miles and Michelle and I the 50K. The first loop and out and back were pitch black. I decided to wear my headlamp like Eric did for the CCC, around my waist as I had on both a baseball cap and wool ski hat. It was COLD! It was very cool to look up and see the crescent moon and a sky full of stars as you ran along and had bobbing headlamps coming towards you. It was hard to distinguish lamp from star. We could also tell that parts of the course were quite foggy. Aside from tripping over the roots that had pushed up the asphalt, running in the dark, having no clue of your surroundings was very cool.

During the first loop as we encountered the single track trail portion we noticed what we thought were giant piles of leaves along the side of the trail. Now, one thing about me, I love Fall and running through leaves. It is my absolute favorite. I wanted to jump into the pile of leaves, but was afraid there was tree branches or other hard things under the leaves. I joked about getting impaled by a branch. Michelle told me it would ruin her race if I got impaled and couldn't continue. So I told her we'd have to check out the pile in the light to determine it's level of softness for jumping in. Then we proceeded to the potion of the trail where we ended up taking a wrong turn twice. The trail just led right into a wooded section, so we went. Then there was Michelle, stopping right in front of me with her arms out wide. I ran into her laughing because it looked like she had run into a bush. Apparently at this point the trail took a turn to the left and Michelle didn't notice, she just saw a drop off to the river ahead and didn't want me to fall. It was very funny though and I enjoyed imitating her for a while, just randomly stopping in front of her with my arms out wide.

My favorite part of the entire course was a section in the out and back of the main loop. We would cross this wood bridge and meander along the trail where the trees turned from mostly oaks, to mostly maples. The trail was covered, ankle high with gigantic yellow and brown leaves. It felt like running in snow, only much louder and crunchier, because it was so deep and you couldn't see what was underneath. This section just didn't last long enough for me and I was always surprised to see the turn around cones.

The 7 hours passed by quickly with many minutes filled with laughter. Michelle would imitate someone and we'd both crack up beyond control. After 20 miles it becomes hard to stop laughing! I'd imitate Michelle and we'd crack up laughing again. Then there was the 10 miles with Rob and Steve! Whew! It was a wonder we made it! Rob was as entertaining as ever and he needed our company. He'd say he was being nice and doing us a favor by keeping us company for our last tough 10 miles, but it was really us who saved him by giving him a fairly easy 1o miles in the middle of his 50! Love ya Rob, just had to set everything straight! During the second loop, when we passed the big pile of leaves, we decided the big one was safe for jumping in, but only on the last loop, in case of accidental impalement by hidden objects. I swore I would still run the last 1.5 miles if I did get impaled. So during the last loop I jumped right in, made some leaf angels,tossed some leaves and rolled around a bit before getting out. I had been worried that getting out would be tough after running 30 miles, but it wasn't. The pile was high enough that I wasn't actually on the ground, so getting out wasn't too bad! It was great fun too! What would a race called Autumn Leaves be without some rolling around in them? It made my day. Sorry, no photos.

After Michelle and I completed the 50k, we changed and ate and rested while we waited for Rob and Steve. After they came in again we went to Starbucks in nearby Newberg. We also got Rob some Doubleshots as we knew he would need the pick me up of some good caffeine. We arrived just in time to give Rob the coffee and hang out for their last loop. We hung out and chatted with other racers and volunteers and ate more food. The atmosphere at ultras is vastly different from traditional marathons. Some of the best camaraderie around.

When Rob and Steve came in we cheered and cheered! They ate some food and gathered their things and we were off. Back to my parent's house for a shower and to load up for home. A not so quick dinner at the packed California Pizza Kitchen with all the high school kids before the big homecoming dance ( Steve freaked some girls out here, telling them how nice they looked) and we were off, back to Puyallup. We dropped off Steve in Longview at his in-laws home and we made it back to my house at 11:30. I dropped off my things beside the door, changed my alarm clock and went to bed. Everyone was already asleep. I was thankful for the extra hour of sleep that daylight savings would bring.

I woke up and headed to church by 7:40am so I could stop at Starbucks before my volunteer nursery duty began at 8am. I got to play with the little ones for an hour and a half before I decided to head home instead of go to Sunday School. I forgot to bring advil. Not for my aching body, but for the abscessed tooth I have been fighting for the last couple of weeks. I opted for a stronger drug the dentist prescribed, which due to my fatigued state, totally knocked me out! I slept for a couple of hours. Besides a tight hamstring which I can only feel when I walk up my hilly driveway, I feel great. No painful spots, not really tight, my hips even feel good. I didn't try to run of course. I'll wait till Tuesday or Wednesday. I don't want to push it. The last time I ran two marathons in two weeks I ended up with a very bad case of ITB. I think I have been wise to take it slow and easy the last 6 months. I have been consistently using the run/walk method and have been stretching and strengthening. I will continue this as I want to get stronger, not let up.

To the future: I am seriously considering the Ghost of Seattle Marathon on the 24th as a birthday present to myself(birthday is the 25th). I didn't sign up for the Seattle Marathon and don't really want to for over $100.00. So this one will be smaller and cheaper. I like that! Besides, I bet there will be some good company out there to run with!

Grace and Peace to you.

12 comments:

Backofpack said...

Well, now. I don't know if this will influence you, but our Ghost registrations are in the mailbox! Eric decided to run it too.

That was a great report - I think the best days are days like yesterday, filled with laughter and friends. Thanks for sharing it with me.

Journey to a Centum said...

The whole trip was a blast Jenny. Your folks are the best and we owe them big time! I really liked the bouncy wooden bridge on the out and back. I was wishing the whole course was like that on my last lap.

Great work out there, congratulations on your finish!

Can't wait for Ghost!

Eric

Scott McMurtrey said...

This ultra was at least a little hard, right? Sure, it was like a stroll in the park (literally) - but 50k is a long way! You and Michelle make it sound like no biggie. :)

Sarah said...

I loved that you jumped in the pile of leaves! It was a great day, wasn't it? : )

Joe said...

Jenny, I'm so happy to hear how you've bounced back to knock off 50K like this!! An awesome day, I sat here laughing with you when I pictured you jumping in the pile of leaves and making "leaf angels"!! How cool to let your "kid" side out!!

Congrats and glad the trip was so much fun...great report!

Unknown said...

Now there you go giving up my tough, nice guy image. I definitely needed the company of both you and Michelle even though Steve was taking good care of me. It was a nice mix late in the race and it definitely helped the time pass. I am very tempted by the Ghost.

Anonymous said...

So, we sort of meet again. :) Good to run past you and Michelle at Autumn Leaves. It sounds like you had a great run and enjoyed the experience. You long-distance runners really amaze me. Nice work! I can't imagine.

Take care!

Joe said...

Jenny, thanks for your comment on my blog!

To your questions. Yes, I do plan to use the run/walk in Huntsville to get to a 4:15. I’ll use a 9/1 sequence though, which is what I’ve been using on my non-long runs for the last month or so. I use the 3/1 on long training runs…which is what my marathon on Oct 20 was. And, I’ll use the 3/1 on the 28 miler on Saturday.

Wes and I have some nerdy stuff to post with respect to all this run/walk stuff too…so stay tuned.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you all had a great time. Appears everyone was there. Got to love a running partner who is compassionate enough for her day to be ruined if you were impaled, who keeps you from running into a drop off, and who can feel you dental misery. Enjoyed the report.

Darrell said...

You all have so much fun together.

wendy said...

I love that you can run with intensity and also with the joy of a child!

Great report, jenny. You sure know how to make it fun out there!

Backofpack said...

Tag! You're it!