Sunday, September 23, 2007

Fully Recovered

Okay, so last Sunday was the 6 Summit adventure, with Michelle, Eric, Jamal, and Linda. You can read about it over on Eric or Michelle's blog. It was a fun 17 miles of up and down on trails. The last three miles were downhill. After a few other steep spots of trying to go slow and brake, Linda and I decided just to go and not try to brake so much. Well braking or not, my quads were quite sore for a few days.

3 to be exact. Monday- Wednesday it was difficult going down. Down stairs, down hill, squatting down, anything revolving around going down was tough. I did a bit of running on Tuesday and gave up for the bike instead. Thursday I was able to move without any grunting or other funny sounds while going downstairs so I went for another short run.

Michelle asked if I was up for a 10 miler on Saturday, she felt recovered from the trail run too. Of course I was, but I also knew I really needed a 20 miler. So I met Michelle, Rick, and Linda at 6:30am for a nice 10 miles. After coffee for about 45min. I went home and changed and ran another 10 miles. I have never split up mileage like that. I have heard some people say it doesn't matter if it is consecutive or not, that at least it was 20 miles in one day. I kinda feel like I cheated, like it has to be consecutive miles or it does not count (Rob, would you say something like that?). Well, I got it in and we will see if I ever split up miles like that again. It did seem to work for the time constraint I was in, so If I had to do it again, at least I know I can. we'll see how it goes after the marathon in a month. I would like to get some more long runs in and I may have to do it with split runs. I don't know if anyone else wants that many miles in the next couple of weeks. anyway....

I ran a super easy 3 miles this morning with my son along on his bike. It was what Michelle would call a "grind" run. It was tough and my legs felt heavy from the 20 miles yesterday. I felt super slow and like I was just plodding along. I was glad when it was over. The stretching afterwards felt great. I am not sore anywhere, but I discovered some new tight areas.
I was glad that my right IT band held up for the 20 miles. I was achy in the usual places, knees and hips, but nothing painful and today I feel fine.

I am looking forward to a day of rest tomorrow and then to get in 25-30 miles next week. Wish me luck!

Grace and Peace to you.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I have read many articles where they have suggested splitting up the mileage and having the same effect as a continuous long run. I used to do triple 8's within a 24 hour period as a substitute for a 20 miler if I could not fit it in at one time. I have read that the body cannot tell the difference if it's done within a 24 hour period.

If you were a beginning marathoner than I would say that a continuous long run is better because it will prepare you mentally for running that long, but you're a pro by now and know what it takes so you'll be fine. I plan on running a bit early next Saturday if you want to get in a longer run.

wendy said...

Good job, Jenny! Glad to hear you're recovered from last week, and I am amazed you got out 3 after yesterday's long run.

You forgot to mention your new adorable running skirt! Now, not only are you busting out the mileage, you look so girly and cute too!

Darrell said...

I've seen some of the same articles as Rob and have done split runs but I agree with you it does seem like cheating a bit. It seems all things considered it will probably work out just fine for you.

Backofpack said...

Good for you getting that second 10 in - and on a cup of coffee in the tummy! I know what you mean though - it's hard to believe it works. I really split it up - I ran 10 again today. I wasn't planning on it, but Eric was going down early to meet Rob, so I figured, why not?

See you Thursday or Saturday!

Joe said...

Good prep work, Jenny. Big news is that the ITB is behaving...good for you!!!

Journey to a Centum said...

As long as you don't develop some sort of wierd allergy to Kinesio tape your ITB won't have a chance of flaring up.

Keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

Hi Jenny! I met you at Rainier to Pacific and I don't think I've made it to your blog until today - pitiful, huh?

Anyway, splitting miles is a great tactic. You still got in 20 miles in one day - nice work. I don't know if I would've mentally been able to go out again once I'd relaxed a bit. I hope the injuries stay away!

Sarah said...

Nice job getting in that 20 miler!

You would have loved the Timberline marathon. Despite saying never again, I will likely do it next year too. : ) See you next week!