Sunday, October 14, 2007

Hipster

Well, my hips have had quite the week.

I was very sore on Monday after the 5 miler at the Portland Marathon and took both Monday and Tuesday off to recuperate. I decided I needed to run on Wednesday and ran an easy 5 at the Y indoor track. I again always run too fast at the track. It is hard to judge my pace when you have to go around 6 times to make a mile. I tried to lose count and go by time as I did not have my lap counter.

My hips paid for it as soon as I stopped running. I knew right away I was in trouble. It hurt to go down the stairs. I made sure I did all of my stretching and strengthening exercises before picking up the kids from the nursery and games room, but I hurt.

All I could do was take Advil and look forward to my appointment with my Doctor/therapist on Friday. It could not come too soon. Friday I left a bit early and arrived a bit early to my appointment and had to wait a bit. That was okay. I knew relief was on the way. Dr. Doyle is a chiropractic sports physician. I told her how things have been going. She had me lay on my side with my top leg hanging back and my top arm stretched out over my head. She used her Graston tools ( I call this torture therapy) from my ribs to my knee. It hurt really bad in places and I knew I'd be very bruised, but I knew it was going to help tremendously. Same for the other side. Then a little A.R.T or Active Release Therapy (which can also be torturous) and an adjustment of the hips and I was done. I could already fell the difference of not being so tight, and quite sore. The bruises were already forming.

Saturday I was quite tender, but I slept so much better and after a warm up period I felt pretty good on my run. The true test came after the run. I felt good still. That afternoon, during my daughter's gymnastics class I went and did some strength exercises for my glutes, quads, hams, lower back, and core. Still felt good.

Sunday came and I knew the therapy was working. I woke up feeling great. After church I went for a short run and felt great. Things are looking up in my hip world.

I have a massage scheduled for Monday and another Doctor/therapist session on Wednesday. Then it is off to San Francisco on Thursday night. I'll run a little this week, stretch and continue my strengthening exercises and take it easy during the marathon on Sunday. I think the worst part will be the long drive down and especially home on Monday. Keep us in your prayers!

I am looking forward to this trip and pray that all of the ladies will have a fantastic and safe time.

Grace and peace to you.

8 comments:

Backofpack said...

You are one hip chick! Not a hippy though, or too hippy, and not into hip-hop I hope. Hip-hip-hooray for good hips!

Do you still want to ride in a car with me for 12 hours after that?

Glad it's working!

Darrell said...

So glad to see that you were able to get some relief from the hip pain. I'm going to have to ask my chiropractor about those Graston Tools.

wendy said...

I wonder what kind of hits you'll get on a post labeled "hipster" and an opening line of "my hips have had quite the week", and even a comment about torture therapy! =)

I'm so glad to hear things are feeling good, and I can't wait til Thursday night! You know, if Michelle keeps it up, we could always lose her at a rest stop. ;-) Kidding, kidding, lots of love!

Joe said...

Well, this will be quite the week for you, Jenny. Many prayers for your safety and good sense about how you go about it.

Now, if we could only do something about Michelle's puns....

Sarah said...

Sounds like that chiropractor is a keeper! Hope you have a safe trip to SF and a super run! : )

Unknown said...

I will keep you and the rest of the ladies in my prayers this weekend. Have a wonderful race!

Mama said...

You all are going to have a blast. I'm sure I won't hear enough of the stories, since what happens in the van stays in the van. But I look forward to what you all will share.

Be Free,
Lorri

Joe said...

Jenny, quick comment on run/walk.

Galloway suggests you control overall speed of a run by varying the r/w ratio. On my short runs, when I'm not doing speed work, I use a 9/1 or 10/1 ratio.

But for long runs, when I want to slow it down I go to a 3/1 or 4/1. 3/1 usually get me to at or just over 11:00/mile. That's what I want for this marathon on Saturday. so, 3/1 it is.

However, when I run my target race in Alabama in December I'll use a 9/1 for the whole race. And hopefully run the last 4 miles uninterrupted.

I have found 3/1 to be a nice pace and feel as if I can go on for a very long time. The very frequent walk breaks really gives my legs a break by changing the muscle pattern every 3 minutes.

I have a watch that I set timers on...so I just go from beep to beep.

I can pass along more details if you are interested...but that's the "why" of what I'm doing!

Thanks for asking...you ladies have run!! Really hope your hip holds up well!!